Hurricane Ida wrecked my vet plans!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
So I made another post about how all of our cats seemed to have allergies. I'd update there but the situation just became an S.O.S situation.

We couldn't rush to the vet, due in part to being hit by a very unexpected bill (power company never sent a disconnect notice, turned us off, then told us we have to pay in full as per a new policy, so that drained us of ALL funds) Our plan was to take the cats to the Vet Monday... but... Hurricane Ida is gonna hit us dead smack in the center.

I don't know yet if we're going to be evacuating, or if we'll be staying but either way, vet options just went out the window.

A friend suggested getting antibotics from a feed store and giving them a little in their water.

Does anyone know if that's safe? Or does anyone have suggestions?

Two of the cats already shook it off, so it's just my kitten (9 pounds) and my older cat (7 year old, 16 pounds) that are most heavily effected. Kitten is the worst by far.

I don't want them suffering, and if we lose power they'd be double miserable (part of why I hope we evacuate)

Likewise, does anyone have ANY suggestions for traveling to a hotel with 4 cats if we go? I'm SO scared of them darting out the door. We also have 3 dogs. This is just a flat out nerve wrecking situation.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First never give antibiotics or any other medication which is normally prescribed without consulting your vet. You would have no way of knowing what antibiotic is needed to treat the condition or if it's even appropriate.

Second - antibiotics have nothing to do with allergies. They are for bacteria and yeast infections (and do nothing for viruses).

Did you mean an antihistamine?

I'd call the vet and see what they suggest that may be over the counter which is safe for felines. I know several are but would not dare to give medical advice here.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pet Disaster Preparedness: Tips for Creating a Pet Emergency Kit
Disaster Preparedness
https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/resources/disaster-prep-pet-emergency-checklist.pdf
https://www.ready.gov/sites/default/files/2021-06/ready_pet-preparedness-flyer.pdf

I hope that you are going to be safe and am so sorry that you are facing this. Under the circumstances, can you call your vet and tell them that you need some help, like the name of an OTC medication, as was suggested. I also wondered if you meant an antihistamine and not an antibiotic. If you have to evacuate, there is not time for a vet visit anyway, money or not, so hopefully he would try to help under these circumstances.

I attached information about disaster preparedness....and some of it is definitely for before...but there are lists which might be helpful in reminding you what to try to take. Look at the CDC and ready.gov first. I know, just what you want, someone sends you something to read in the middle of this, but glance at them as I know that under the circumstances my brains would at least partially go out the window.

You have cat carriers for them? Err on the side of caution and do not open them until you are in a secure place with a closed door. There might be a mess, but it is better than never finding your cats again. If you end up evacuated, first priority based upon where you are is how to make sure that your animals, including the dogs, remain secure.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
please be safe ! Evacuation centers now allow you to bring pets !! they learned in Katrina people wouldn't leave pets , and it is why some would not leave .. so now they have places for them also. One good thing. While there you might check with pet experts SPCA or Red Cross .. they might have Pet emergency folks there .. as what might be good to help them. I actually got a Pet emergency first aid kit from Red Cross and DVDs on how to help cats ! may even access to " emergency vet" ? Praying for all in the path of IDA..people and pets !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone.

I lost power during Ida. It got pretty bad, we lost power. I would have updated sooner, but connection was spotty on my phone and I wasn't able to load anything. We're now in a Hotel with our animals!

I never got my cats to a vet. They started doing better but now tonight I noticed Milo has some blood in both nostrils.

He's not gushing blood and I don't THINK it was like that earlier. He was fine last night. Should I be calm? I've never had a cat with a nose bleed...

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for updating us. Glad you are all fine and they are doing better. I don't think you have any other choice but to stay calm right now. Is there any way Milo could of banged or rubbed his nose in the carrier. I'd keep a eye on him if it doesn't stop then I would talk to a vet and ask their advice. You could try a ice cube in a bag wrapped with cloth, place it on the bridge of his nose if he'll let you. It should constrict the blood vessels and stop the bleeding.

Last edited:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for updating us. Glad you are all fine and they are doing better. I don't think you have any other choice but to stay calm right now. Is there any way Milo could of banged or rubbed his nose in the carrier. I'd keep a eye on him if it doesn't stop then I would talk to a vet and ask their advice. You could try a ice cube in a bag wrapped with cloth, place it on the bridge of his nose if he'll let you. It should constrict the blood vessels and stop the bleeding.
Thankfully it stopped! I think he sneezed too hard, honestly. He seems a lot better today!

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for updating us. Glad to know that you are all safe and together in the hotel room.
I'm so thankful we found this hotel. It's an extended stay Hotel so they don't seem to mind that we have four cats and 3 dogs and thankfully it's a big enough space that we aren't all on top of each other. The cats all seem to be adjusting. Mia's really the only one still a lil spooked, but she's a timid cat by nature

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for checking in !! so glad you are all safe and together in a hotel ! Nose bleed could be anything from trauma to allergies , liver problems to about a HOST to things ! the changes in the air pressure during a hurricane maybe ? I know it triggers it and migraines in humans... if it is chronic, seeing a vet for sure; might just be an isolated incident. My kitty Bella got one once from rubbing on a wooden chair. ..sounds like you are doing a great job! hang in there !!!

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Here's some photos of them at the hotel just chilling! Mia's in hiding so she won't let me take photos.

The one of Milo with the blanket was DURING the hurricane though, he just wanted to be snuggled

Attachments

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's some photos of them at the hotel just chilling! Mia's in hiding so she won't let me take photos.

The one of Milo with the blanket was DURING the hurricane though, he just wanted to be snuggled
aw, thank you for sharing the pics ! they look safe, tho rattled .. of course. How are you all doing now ??? Hope all is well !! thanks for updates !!!:thanks::hellocomputer:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for posting. Glad to see that everyone was safe and comfortable. I love the little b/w who plopped onto the big comforter! Is your home okay? You took excellent care of all your pets. They all look like they went on a nice vacation rather than having to run from the storm.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting. Glad to see that everyone was safe and comfortable. I love the little b/w who plopped onto the big comforter! Is your home okay? You took excellent care of all your pets. They all look like they went on a nice vacation rather than having to run from the storm.
You don't even know!!! I walked into that bedroom area and I caught him on my mothers side of the bed with my step dad next to him, rubbing his belly. They both looked at me like i caught them having an affair. I nearly died laughing.

Our home is okay, I think. Our skirting was torn up and destroyed and our fence was crushed on one side. There is water damage on our roof, but until an inspector gets out there, we won't know for sure what the actual damage is. We're just crossing our fingers at this point and hoping for the best.

We currently don't have power, which is why we're up north in Shreveport at the moment at an extended stay hotel, so we'll be here at least until we get power back.

The animals do think they are on vacation I think! The drive up here with 3 dogs and 4 cats was.... exhausting. I had to hold Milo in his carrier up with me in the front and Mia in her carrier between my legs on the floor, because they were both so nervous. They seem more relaxed now. Adding more pictures!

aw, thank you for sharing the pics ! they look safe, tho rattled .. of course. How are you all doing now ??? Hope all is well !! thanks for updates !!!:thanks::hellocomputer:
We are doing good! Thank you for checking on us <3 It's just a waiting game now for power to come back on.

Attachments