Hurricane Behavior

OliviaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone! I live on the east coast of Florida and will be facing Hurricane Dorian on Monday/Tuesday. We are hoping for the best, but this will be the worst storm both of our cats have lived through. We have a 6 month old female kitten who hates any storm and cries non stop. We also have a 14 month old male who is wary of storms, but doesn’t hate them quite as much. I am worried about the male because he has previously had a bladder blockage due to stress and we don’t want a repeat performance. We bought stress away from our vet and I have some medication on hand for bladder spasms in case I notice any litter box problems for our male. Any other tips on how we can comfort our kitties in extreme weather? Thanks so much!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know if this would help in a case such as a hurricane, but for the timeperiod leading up to it you could try music. Classical harp music may be useful :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put him In a separate room with a litter box and a cardboard box or enclosed bed so he can hide. He will mostly want to hide. Hope it works out and I hope it never hits Texas. My cat Coco hides from thunder. She would be terrified if there was a hurricane.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he has hiding spots that is where he will go. There isn't much you can do other than to let him go where it is that he feels safest. To try to make him go somewhere else is only going to be more stressful. If he likes your company, then go near where it is that he is hiding and talk to him, or read a book out loud, etc.

I am not being much help, but Feeby (15+ yo) likes to hide when there is any barometric pressure changes - so soon that is what she will be doing (we are in Central Florida). But, I have never found it to be productive to try to do anything other than check on her, and spend time nearby.

You can try to put food/water/etc. down near him, just in case. But, odds are he will not bother with them until he thinks the brux of the storm is over.

You also have to take cues from your cats - some are the 'leave me alone, you can't protect me, I can do it by myself' and others are the 'don't leave me alone, I am scared' kind. You have to treat them in whatever manner you've learned they are most comfortable with.

Good luck - we are all going to need it!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with giving them hiding spaces. We have had luck with plain boxes put in a 90 degree corner. One side of the box is up against the wall, and the opening to the box is facing the joint wall and the box is about a foot or so away so they can get in and out.
Try to play with them a lot to work a lot of their energy out, because if they're nervous with storms, they won't want to play much once the winds pick up, so this way they'll be exercised and maybe a little bit more relaxed and with any luck will sleep some of it off.
Stay with them, try to be as calm yourself as possible (that helps), and by all means, stay safe, all of you! (That's an order ;))
Hurricane / Emergency Disaster Prepardness For Your Pets

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. I totally understand. One of our cats is FIV+, has FHV, and a history of urinary problems -- all of which can be exacerbated by stress.

We alternate between Zylkene and L-Theanine supplements for stress management, and it just so happened that we were giving Buddy the L-Theanine during Hurricane Harvey. It was a huge help, and thank God, we managed to get through several days of all those thunderstorms without a single health setback.

We normally use Feliway diffusers for stress reduction. But they're not much help when the electricity goes out. Thankfully, they also make a spray that you can spritz on bedding and whatnot.

Some people swear by thundershirts, calming collars, etc. But our cats seem to do quite nicely if they just have a place where they feel hidden, like inside a paper bag or a small box that we turn on its side so it has a "roof", maybe with a towel or a blanket draped over it.

Wish you and yours all the best, and will be keeping everyone in harm's way in our prayers.

(((((HUGS)))))

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hurricane would be pretty loud noises from high speed wind, and rain as well as other items being thrown around. I dont think music will help much. Are you able to find a location in your house that is in the center away from walls windows so it creates a sound barrier from all the noise surrounding the house. Do you have an underground basement ? For sound proofing use thick bed blankets around the crate to create a barrier. Carpets and rugs, matress, pillows , thick curtain drapes are all good at absorbing noise.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. If he has hiding spots that is where he will go. There isn't much you can do other than to let him go where it is that he feels safest. To try to make him go somewhere else is only going to be more stressful. If he likes your company, then go near where it is that he is hiding and talk to him, or read a book out loud, etc.

I am not being much help, but Feeby (15+ yo) likes to hide when there is any barometric pressure changes - so soon that is what she will be doing (we are in Central Florida). But, I have never found it to be productive to try to do anything other than check on her, and spend time nearby.

You can try to put food/water/etc. down near him, just in case. But, odds are he will not bother with them until he thinks the brux of the storm is over.

You also have to take cues from your cats - some are the 'leave me alone, you can't protect me, I can do it by myself' and others are the 'don't leave me alone, I am scared' kind. You have to treat them in whatever manner you've learned they are most comfortable with.

Good luck - we are all going to need it!
U n kitties be safe

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an underground basement ?
Unless things have changed drastically since I left Florida there are no basements. Truthfully if I were in this situation, I would consider evacuation, depending on the location of the original poster and the projected landfall of the storm. Survival comes before potential health issues. If leaving for a safer place isn't an option, then setting up a covered place for him to hide, away from an outer wall or windows, staying as calm as you can since they pick up on our stress, and using medications to calm him is the best you can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OliviaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice and well wishes!

Luckily things are looking a little better for where we are located. We are looking at the worst of the storm tonight into tomorrow.

We have stress away tablets from the vet that we have started to give, and I have some medication on hand for bladder spasms in case we see urination issues.

I will keep you all posted on how it goes! For now we are thinking positively and praying for the best. Thanks again!