HUNDREDS of glowing areas on carpet; can Black light detect more than urine?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read this entire thread but places where I cleaned areas of the carpet with something other than carpet cleaner (like, Dawn detergent), show up.  So many areas showed up with the black light, it was pretty much useless.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything white glows under a black light, so there will be a lot of glowing flecks/specks.

Most people, when looking for where a cat has sprayed, are looking for something that includes a SPLOTCH. That makes it fairly easy for most people to find cat urine under a black light. Drinks and cleaners usually show up white/glowing; urine shows up as a deep yellow that looks almost orange or greenish.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't read this entire thread but places where I cleaned areas of the carpet with something other than carpet cleaner (like, Dawn detergent), show up.  So many areas showed up with the black light, it was pretty much useless.
Yes - everything shows up under a black light, including where you have cleaned anything on the carpet. It can be confusing. A cat marking or spraying urine will use the walls, sides of couches, doors, etc. So checking with the black light in those areas will tell a person if their cat is marking. It is always a surprise when you turn off the lights at night and turn on your black light :eek: Everything shows up!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello.....I'm so glad you wrote in because you took the words right out of my mouth!   I should have written this letter!     My female cat had a urinary tract infection and I saw her going in two main areas.   After she got better I kept cleaning the area with vinegar and peroxide and a million other things.  I could not tackle it so I called a company to come out to clean the areas.   He brought a black light with him and I thought it was just two areas!  There were millions of flecks EVERYWHERE!  Places the cat never goes?   I still cannot believe that is pet urine.   As you said, my house would have stunk!   I have just two cats and I would have smelled it if that were going on???  I wish I knew the answer to this too! 
Welcome to the forums, Kittylover! :) Not to worry because those specks and flecks that show up on your black light are not cat urine! It only means you need to vacuum. :lol3: Everything will show up under a black light on the floors not just cat urine spots.