Humidifiers

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm prone to nosebleeds and sinus problems. This winter was especially dry, and I had a bad time, to put it mildly. So I figure I should get a humidifier before winter comes again. I had one in my room for a while as a kid, and it made a world of difference.

My questions are-what is a good humidifier to get on a budget, and is there any chance of the cats messing with it and getting hurt?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cool mist humidifier is safe to use around any pet or person. Small personal sized humidifiers are easily toppled over by a cat so you want a good sized one of at least a few gallons. It can sit on a table or on the floor. I have a one gallon one that just sits on the bedroom floor. The cats ignore it.

There are ultrasonic humidifiers but I don't know if that would bother a cat's sensitive hearing.

Gallon size of the humidifier is based on room size.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, thank you! I'm going to have to find out how big my bedroom is.

Actually, since my apartment only has two rooms, and I don't shut my door at night, would I need to take both rooms into account?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One humidifier that is big enough for the whole apartment will work. I personally just partially close the bedroom door at night (to allow the cats to go in and out if they want) and the bedroom stays pretty humid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I'll start looking-thanks!

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with LTS3 LTS3 . Get a whole house humidifier. You want humidity in the whole apartment so whichever room you're in you breathe moist air. I have a 4 room apartment and have a whole house one that holds 6 gallons of water. One good thing, you don't have to fill it so often like a one room humidifier.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add something, from personal experience. If you use a smaller, non filter humidifier, do not use filtered water. Please use distilled water--from the store.
Using filtered water, as in a Brita, causes a fine white mineral powder on all surfaces.

Using distilled water is a bit pricey.. and it can be out of stock, during the winter.

I would suggest buying a cool mist humidifier with a filter.. and clean once a week, to keep mold from forming. I used vinegar and water weekly to wash it out.. every 2-3 weeks I would use bleach and water to descale it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the Crane Teardrop cool mist humidifier. It's pretty common and affordable. I did run it this winter in my kitchen to help with our dry skin and it does. Definitely follow the manufacturer recommendations on cleaning and everything. And be sure to run it on a safe surface.

I bought mine when my kids were too little for cold medicine and I'd run it on a wooden stool in their bedrooms. (Before they could get out of bed on their own.) We had a different brand first and it started leaking. So I'm hesitant to put one on a wood surface like night tables or dressers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A small humidifier can be placed in a tray of some sort to catch drips / leaks. I put mine on one of those water absorbent pet food mats.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two ultrasonic humidifiers. One for the bedroom and one for the living room where there is a wood burning stove. Neither cat seems to notice when it is running / not running so the ultrasonic must not bother them. I use distilled water which I buy in gallon jugs at Wal-Mart. Less than $1 / gallon. Do Not buy the distilled water in the baby section. A) it is slightly more expensive but even more important B) it has minerals added back. Good for baby but not for humidifier. There are three settings, finger tap to adjust, for how much the unit puts out.