Human teething Rings??

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning all, I have a question.  I am raising 6 week old kittens (along with mom, of course) They are teething.  May I give them human baby teething rings, the type that have  the gel in the middle, or are they unsafe to use because of their canine teeth?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend it. You just don't know what is in that gel, and yep, kittens' little teeth are sharp and they bite hard when teething!

It was a little hard to get my kitten to notice this as a teething option at first, but I gave her a small, thick canvas tote bag to chew on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your response.  My common sense too told me that it probably wasn't a good idea.  The canvas tote bag sounds like a great idea.   Thanks for the tip!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
These have worked well for the kittens that have come through our rescue. They're great for playing and teething!

http://www.chewy.com/cat/booda-cat-crazies-playrings-cat-toy/dp/53473

I've also used newborn size NUK-type pacifiers. You do have to keep an eye on the nipple and throw away/replace; but, they are designed to take nibbles. I've not had any issues with young kittens biting thru, they usually end up puncturing.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your response.  My common sense too told me that it probably wasn't a good idea.  The canvas tote bag sounds like a great idea.   Thanks for the tip!
It's dual-use. Great for play: wrestling with, putting balls and toys inside, etc.

edit: you can cut off the handles if you are worried about the combo of handles and kittens...

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never thought of using that type of teething ring, the traditional pacifier.  Thanks for that idea as well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The solid rubbery/hard plastic kind are fine (as long as you keep an eye on things to make sure they aren't chewing off chunks), but the gel kind will be punctured quickly. And I'm sure the gel is non-toxic (at least for humans!) but there's not much point to them once they're flat :lol3:.

So, yeah, what everyone else said---textured cloth and solid plastic are fine.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my Maggie was a puppy, my vet suggested soaking a washcloth, tying it in a knot, and putting it in the freezer. MaggieMoo seemed to really enjoy the cold on her gums while she was teething. Downsizing it to kitty size would work, I would think.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your suggestions on kitten teething relief.  It's no wonder why I enjoy and appreciete this website.  I learn so much and always get the help I seek, Many thanks.