Human Lysine Tablets Safe?

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Does anyone know if human l lysine tablets are safe to give my 9 month old kitten? I am thinking about grinding it up in to a powder to sprinkle on her set food but the inactive ingredients are vegetable cellulose, microcrystaline cellulose, stearic acid and another form of cellulose i don't remember just now but will update when I get back to the bottle. My kitten has had slight raspy breathing for weeks now. We tried her on anti biotics and steaming her and using a humidifier etc but nothing seems to be making a dent in it. It's her only symptoms and as we are pretty sure they have the feline herpes virus (they got conjunctivitis very young) and were born as a result of a stray street cat getting pregnant I thought lysine might help?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be using those tablets........
Microcrystalline cellulose is a term for refined wood pulp and is used as a texturizer, an anti-caking agent, a fat substitute, an emulsifier, an extender, and a bulking agent in food production. Wikipedia
I do use Lysine capsules (Webber) ......and get them from the local drug store - a couple of extra ingredients in there in tiny amounts to enable the capsulation process.

I'm not sure about "raspy breathing" as a symptom in a herpes virus outbreak, though.....in my own experience, it's usually nasal congestion as a respiratory symptom.

That said, it certainly won't do any harm to use Lysine and monitor for changes. Here's a reliable overview of 'cat flu' and treatments: Harpsie's Website - cat flu (FVR and calici virus)

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I give my cats the human l-lysine tablets that you would get at the vitamin store or pharmacy and it always help with a herpes flare up. I give 250 mg twice a day.

My vet just told me to buy any brand of lysine supplement back when I was first wanting to use it. She never said anything about dangerous inactive ingredients so I don’t think it’s a huge concern. You might want to look for pills with less inactive ingredients just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I meant she sounds congested when she purrs and sometimes when she breathes. It's not bothering her or stopping her from playing or eating etc. So figured lysine would be a good idea to try. I will look for other tablets but these are the only ones I've found in my small town in Saudi so far.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could help or it could do nothing. No harm in trying! If it is the herpes virus, I’ve seen great success using lysine. I would also continue with steam treatments using a hot shower in a closed bathroom to help her with breathing. Do it for a long time... I usually know it’s working when my own nose starts running!

Can you keep her on antibiotics? If it’s a virus, they will prevent her from getting an infection and becoming much worse. If it is an infection, they should help her get better. Maybe your vet could do testing on a mucus sample to try and figure out what illness you’re dealing with.

LilVal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't be using those tablets........

I do use Lysine capsules (Webber) ......and get them from the local drug store - a couple of extra ingredients in there in tiny amounts to enable the capsulation process.

I'm not sure about "raspy breathing" as a symptom in a herpes virus outbreak, though.....in my own experience, it's usually nasal congestion as a respiratory symptom.

That said, it certainly won't do any harm to use Lysine and monitor for changes. Here's a reliable overview of 'cat flu' and treatments: Harpsie's Website - cat flu (FVR and calici virus)
My kitty is 12 years old and has had the herpes virus since we adopted her as a kitten. Over the last year she has developed crusty brown/black scabs around her mouth. She needs to get into the vet but that's another story.
Would lysine tablets help her? She will only eat canned food now and it's been bothering her for awhile. It would have to be over the counter because I simply can't afford the vet. Lucy is a crabby old cat but I love her so much. Any help would be so very much appreciated!!