Human foods

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello

I had a cat, who would eat anything that he saw me eat, I mean anything, and was on the phone to our vets often, asking my cat has Just run off with… e.g. about half an inch of my wispa gold chocolate bar.

problem now is, I have 4 cats that do this, and I can’t keep calling the vets. So, is there a list of human foods that cats can have (if they steal it), and how much they can eat safely.

here are some items my cats have stolen, and eaten….
yorkshire puddings
roast potatoes
carrots
broccoli
chocolate
crisps
chips
fries
milky bar
chicken from curry (hot as jalfrezi to butter chicken)

this list is since Christmas.

i know in small amounts it’s not going to make them sick, but how much before I need to call the vets?

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no vet but in my experience most human food items are not good for cats since they often have a lot of salt, sugars and fats that our cats bodies can't process the way we can.
Do your cats eat their own food? Maybe they have issues eating their own food and that's why they're so focussed on your food. Just a suggestion though.
I usually just use Google (not just the first site but compare multiple) to check if the food is poisonous for them and how much is safe or deadly. Because there's a difference between unhealthy or deadly of course. Your cat won't die from a bit of cheese but it's not healthy for them either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the question above about how well they eat their own food. Some cats will steal just about anything if they need more food than they are getting/eating. So, I'd be interested in knowing what, how much, and when they eat their own food.

Are you leaving your food out where they can easily get to it? There are some pretty 'untrustworthy' cats out there! I've read where others do not ever leave food unattended whether that be during a meal or placing leftovers on the counter to store or discard. I know there sire some folks who actually place their cats in another room when they are eating and cleaning up. Admittedly, snacks are harder to deal with, but that is when - if they should choose to try to steal it - the amount is likely to be within an acceptable range.

Ever consider buying them some treats to give out while you are eating? Most treats aren't nutritionally complete for a cat, but at least they are meant for cats to eat them.

I'd first look at their current cat food situation and see if there are changes to make in that area. If you find they need more of their own food, that might ultimately resolve the issue.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I frequently have to walk with my food in my hand when I have to do something while eating/snacking because I have food thieves in my house. I have learned that things have to be put behind cupboard doors, in drawers, in the oven, covered with a tight-fitting lid, or placed in the microwave so my kitties don't get into them. My husband often forgets this and has had toast (fresh from the toaster), cheese, tortillas, chips, and crackers stolen. He somehow thinks it's the cats' fault. :lol: My cats are well fed and are not hungry, just opportunists. It's hard to be mindful, but it's a must when you have kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaogier

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are very active, I have a brother/sister who is mum to 5 kittens last may, my sister has 2 of them, they are all under 2 years old, except Nala, who is 9. We have recently lost my boys, first went 3 years ago in March, second went October in the same year, we did get 3 kittens but one died of heart failure in August 2022, we lost the 3rd brother in November 2023, and my 4th boy nearly 3 weeks ago.

C.J. - 2005 - 2016 (French cat, was my step mums who died of cancer in 2013 - he came to the UK in 2013)

Brothers - same mum and dad
Bubbles - 2006 - 2021
Taffy - 2007 - 2024
Bollo - 2007 - 2023

Buttons - 2010 - 2021 (this cat eat anything food related)

Nala - 2014 - still alive

all born same day
same mum and dad
Fluffy - 2022 - still alive
Sparky - 2022 - still alive
Sister of the mum of Fluffy and Sparky, same dad
Rollo - 2022 - 2022

Sparky kittens
Madge - May 2023 - My sister has her
Bandit - May 2023 - at home
Bingo - May 2023 - at home
Gary - May 2023 - My sister has him
Bluey - May 2023 - at home

all of my cats are well fed, happy with the food given, they are not like buttons, who eat anything he had seen someone/other animals eat, even if it was lettuce, tomatoes on the windowsill ripping. These kittens (the ones less than 2 years old) if they see you eat a chocolate bar, they want it, but if you open the same bar, and leave it while they are looking at you, they won’t go near it. I think there is a phrase, Monkey see, monkey do.
I can pretend to eat something, if they see you or hear you, they are right up at you trying to steal the imaginary food, it’s like watching a cat who can’t find the laser, or if we have taken off them a alive “kill”.

i can tell you that every single food/drink/air that you breath, eat or drink is toxic if you exceed what the limit of humans can handle.
i think it’s something like 80-100 bars of chocolate will kill you, or 6 litres of water in 30 minutes.

I have read countless lists but they all focus mostly on dogs, and no amount given before emergency vet visit to find that small amount of x is not going to kill my cats, it would probably just cause loose no. 2s as what happened to many of us here if you spot your cat eating some chocolate or popcorn while watching a good film as an example. Btw, my cat ate some of my homemade strawberry sauce fresh strawberries and whipped cream dessert years ago, buttons was still a kitten.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We've had many cats over many years and I tend to be extra cautious when it comes to human food. I never leave anything out for them to get into, not even an unwashed dish or silverware in the sink. We had two cats who would try to inhale any piece of food on the table or kitchen counters so I learned to be extra careful and stressed that practice with the rest of my family.