Human food I can use as pill pocket?

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Is there any safe human foods that work well as a pill pocket for pills. I have been using the regular ones you buy but recently my cat got a taste of the pill and was drooling and now won't take the pill pockets. I don't want to switch to cream because she won't let anyone else out it on so when we are gone that won't work. She isn't really treat crazy and usually takes them only for clicker training and when she is hungry. I don't even know if she would take human food. She walks away from chicken breast in the can and tuna. Weird cat I know!!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Compound it to something easier or more appealing.
Veterinary Pharmacy

Vet still needs to call or fax in the prescription. But you can select the formulation. They have excellent customer service. If she still won't take it, call them back and they'll help you with another formulation.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely Wedgewood. They are filling my Jamie's prescriptions now for his cardiomyopathy and have filled my dog's prescriptions for Cushings. They let me speak to a pharmacist regarding Jamie's meds before I even made the decision to give them the prescription.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How long does your cat need to take the pills for? If it's for a short amount of time like a week or so, it may not be worth the expense to have the pills compounded. Have you asked the vet if the medicine is available in liquid form?

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked at all of these and it doesn't address what to do when you cat runs and hides from you and you have to play games and ignore and wait. I can get the pill down my cat once I can catch him. We are trying to give him amitriptyline as he is highly stressed and it's causing him to strain using the litter box. (I've already taken him to the vet and I'm also awaiting an email from them).

I've tried pill pockets and none of my cats like them, I bought some soft treats and none of my cats like them. I'm at a total loss he is on to me and runs if he suspects a pill is coming. I've tried hiding it in food, getting toys out to play, chasing him lol, laying on the bed because he usually comes up and lays on my chest - any suggestions?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've looked at all of these and it doesn't address what to do when you cat runs and hides from you and you have to play games and ignore and wait. I can get the pill down my cat once I can catch him. We are trying to give him amitriptyline as he is highly stressed and it's causing him to strain using the litter box. (I've already taken him to the vet and I'm also awaiting an email from them).

I've tried pill pockets and none of my cats like them, I bought some soft treats and none of my cats like them. I'm at a total loss he is on to me and runs if he suspects a pill is coming. I've tried hiding it in food, getting toys out to play, chasing him lol, laying on the bed because he usually comes up and lays on my chest - any suggestions?
How about getting it compounded into a transdermal gel? A little wet willy in the ear followed by a treat. If you have to give it to him regularly, it would be best to do it right before a meal. He will learn that to get his meal, he has to get the wet willy. It will still be loads easier than pills.
79E7B0F4-67C6-4D8B-B48C-60818148CE64.jpeg
If transdermal doesn’t work out, there are flavored oils and other forms. Krista willingly took her chemo every time because I had it concentrated and anchovy flavored. I mixed it with a little salmon oil and let her lap up the oil medicine puddle about the size of a nickel. She cleaned the plate every time. 👍 I could only handle that medicine with gloves. There would be no pill wrestling matches with that stuff. 😹
Amitriptyline Twist-a-Dose Transdermal Gel

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
How about getting it compounded into a transdermal gel? A little wet willy in the ear followed by a treat. If you have to give it to him regularly, it would be best to do it right before a meal. He will learn that to get his meal, he has to get the wet willy. It will still be loads easier than pills.
View attachment 397160
If transdermal doesn’t work out, there are flavored oils and other forms. Krista willingly took her chemo every time because I had it concentrated and anchovy flavored. I mixed it with a little salmon oil and let her lap up the oil medicine puddle about the size of a nickel. She cleaned the plate every time. 👍 I could only handle that medicine with gloves. There would be no pill wrestling matches with that stuff. 😹
Amitriptyline Twist-a-Dose Transdermal Gel
That might have to be an option at least until he is less stressed. I'm awaiting to hear back from my vet, I didn't give any meds yesterday and he is relaxed today. Thanks for the info. PS I tried Pounce, Irresistibles and Blue soft treats and I just wasted more money lol.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That might have to be an option at least until he is less stressed. I'm awaiting to hear back from my vet, I didn't give any meds yesterday and he is relaxed today. Thanks for the info. PS I tried Pounce, Irresistibles and Blue soft treats and I just wasted more money lol.
I know you have tried a lot, but have you tried Greenies?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
try wrapping the pill around cheese, or even a tiny piece of deli meat or chicken... just for short term use. It may trick him..

Yes, compounding is the way to go for long term. I have used both transdermal--easy and I have used liquid..

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to give my cat Prozac and I found out (after having to get another vet) it comes in a cream that I could put on the inside of her ear. Have a cat now that does not like having her medicine and I found the easiest way was to buy a doggie play pen and put her in there long before medicine time. That way she can't hide from me. Pill pockets never worked for me. My other cat loves cheese and I could get the pill down her that way at first but then she caught on. Some how she could eat the tiny cheese piece and spit out the tiny tiny pill piece. I cut the pill into tiny tiny pieces. Cats sure are smart little stinkers. :crazy: