Huge pregnant cat....stopped eating...just lays around....how much longer?

catcrazy08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweety is having her third litter....I have never seen a cat this big!  I wasn't worried  til today...she has totally quit eating...doesn't purr much and just lays around...she changes positions frequently.....she hasn't started panting or pushing.  How long should i let her go without eating before she goes to vet?  Last litter she had 7 big kittens but wasnt near this big! Any advice or suggestions? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcrazy08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No that's my problem...she was keeping company with a friends boy..til mothers day...when i picked her up she was huge..she had been there since early april. She had been eating 2 cans kitten food daily plus dry kitten food and multi vitamin...the only thing she ate today was her vitamin..Her weight has almost doubled

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you picked her up in early May and she was already "huge," then she is probably off her food because it is time to have her kittens. Some cats stop eating right before they go into labor. She may already be in pre-labor. If she is not acting distressed I would give it some time to see if the babies come.

Do you have plans to spay your cat after this litter? You would be doing her a favor since this is her third litter. It must be difficult for her to be so huge! Let us know how she is doing.

littlebooty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she was at yr friends with a Tom from early April she will be due anytime. Let's say the 9th (easy cause that's when my little girl was covered) that would make her 62 days today. So this week/weekend ish!

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When going into labor, some cats stop eating completely. As this is her first litter, it can take around 24 to 48 hours more. Tho, she also sounds restless, so I don't think it will be much longer. I'd say today, but specially with first litters it can take quite a bit longer. Keep a good eye on her, as soon as she starts having obvious contractions (you'll see her whole body cramp together) the first kitten should arrive within an hour. If it's not, or the contractions stop again completely, call the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcrazy08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate all the comments! I have never been this nervous over a litter of kittens. Depending on how this plays out is whether I will get her spayed or not. She is a Blue Point Siamese bred to a Seal Point Siamese. I have an appointment to take her to vet tomorrow. My vet is out of town for the week and tomorrow is the soonest I can get her in. I also have an emergency vet phone number that is about an hr away...but is open 24/7. This cat is an excellent mother. Takes great care of her babies and has big healthy kittens...hopefully this is just an extra large litter with no complications...just makes me worry...I dont like it when they go off food for very long.,,,and she is so big she is having trouble getting around. I spoke with 3 vets today and none seemed overly concerned....Im not sure why but I am concerned. Babies are very active...so I guess that is a good sign. I am not getting much sleep these days...watching over her but I suppose she isn't getting much sleep either.....Oh and does anybody know are multivitamins bad for pregnant cats? Can they make the kittens too big? I have always given my pregnant cats vitamins...so I thought I would ask.

littlebooty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oohh I love Siamese cats!! They carry longer for some reason - right up to the 70th day. I guess cats are like humans when it comes to carrying babies, when I had my last daughter I. Put on 4 stone but she was only 4lb 4 oz