Huge Crush On A Shelter Cat, Adopting Or Not?

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I am sorry to bother you that but I need advice. I volunteer in a shelter and today I met someone special. There was this 1 year cat to whom I felt a connection like never before. After adoption hours I tool him to the interaction room and we stayed there 1 hour. I even cried a bit because I was so emotional. He is a stray, he is so fin and I know he had a home but someone abandoned him. And I am so sad for him. I wanted to bring him home. But I already have a cat and I don't know how she would handle him. She is 8 month old and he is 1 year old so at least they are close in age. But I am very nervous, because
1. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment so the initial seperation could be hard
2. She is very bonded with me and only me and I am afraid that he would make her feel push apart. I don't want to stress her or make her sad. I love her so much. When she was smaller we fostered another kittzn. It took a few days for them to be fine with each other and be in the same room. But they got there. However when I played she would become shy to the other kitten and did not dare go after the toy and I felt so sad for her.
3. He really spent 1 hour putting his smell on me rubbing everywhere. So I am nervous he might be a bit territorial .

So it's definetely not the simplest choice. However here comes the trouble I keep on crying because of this cat, I felt such a connection. I have seen tons of the cat at the shelter and melted often but never to the point of crying. And my heart just wants him home.
So I need your opinion and maybe help me see reason. I am going back Tuesday to see him.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'd take the chance and bring this Heart-melting kitty into my Life. One can never have enough cats. One can never have enough cinnamon coffee cake either, but that really doesn't apply here.

Caveat: remember that the advice you're getting comes from a stupid chap who has ten cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cinnaom cofee cake? never had that.
I want to, I am just afraid of the impact it might have on my current cat

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I fell in love with a little kitten a few months back. I even arranged with the foster mom a home visit to see how the new kitten would do with our guys. Two of my cats, Link and Nightfury, were fine. New strange kitten behavior they have had in the past of cautiously curious and I knew they would be fine in a few days. Rocket, my third? Whole other story. She was scared out of her mind. Ran away, hid in my room in her cat tree, refused to come out for 12 hours, didn't respond to me at all, didn't come out for her favorite food. When she did finally come out she plastered herself to my side and absolutely refused to do anything unless she had me nearby. It took a good 48 hours for her to get back to normal. Rocket was a feral cat and is strongly bonded to me as the human who socialized her. She is also very bonded to our two males and they dote on her. So I decided that the kitten wasn't for us.

I still regret it though; I kinda wish I had tried harder but seeing that reaction was scary. Rocket is a very sensitive little one and I worked really hard to get her to this point in socialization and comfort. Add on she has made herself stress sick at least twice when Link was hurt so I just didn't want to put her through that to make another cat work. Maybe someday if another cat wanders into our home; but not a purposeful addition at least at the current time. The kitten was still little and cute and I knew she would find a home easily.

Since you volunteer for the group maybe they will let you take him home and see how your cat reacts. Some cats are very open to other cats (my Link is one), others are indifferent (Nightfury could care less) and others don't want friends (Rocket, my little princess). If you can't do a trial at home most adoption places do have a return period (usually public shelters of 7-14 days) or return requirement (rescue groups of once one of theirs always so if anything happens they will take the animal back). So if it seems to be too stressful or you really don't think with time it will work, or you don't want to spend the time, you can say it didn't work out. Although it can take several months to adjust to a new cat; depends on the cats involved. It sounds like there was enough of a connection to at least give it a good shot.

It really doesn't hurt to try and I know if it was me I would really regret never trying.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you obviously feel so strongly about this cat maybe as Kieka suggested, you could take him home and see how it goes. It's a hard decision to make. See how you feel tomorrow and if you still feel the same, take a chance. As long as you can put the time and effort into them both it should work out fine. Let us know what happens.

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I dont think they would let me take him home for a while. And I won't return him, I volunteer at the municipal shelter and there is always the risk he would get euthanized if I return him. I think I will contact a private rescue to know if I can foster to adopt through them so I would have a better option in case it does not work out. I need to think about it, and negociate with my bf!! I am not even sure it would be an option!
The only thing that is sure is that if he is put on the at risk list i will pull him out! I won't let anything bad happen to him.

My dilemma is pretty sure why my bf was nervous about volunterreing ^^

Yeah Keika I am afraid my cat would react like your Rocket, she is not a cuddly lap-cat but she is bonded to me and only me. Each time she feels threatened she needs me to be around. I know I am special for her and not sure how she would react with another cat claiming me too.

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3:Maybe the new little one would bond to your be & your girl won't feel so threatened? I am glad you won't let anything bad happen. Good luck and keep us updated!:grouphug: :grouphug2: :crossfingers: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So just to give you news. When I went back to the shelter last week he actually already had gotten adopted. I am happy for him :) A bit selfishly sad but really happy for him :)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy for the dear little kitty, but sad for you. Thank you for letting us know. How about creating an album on your home page and posting some photos of your 8 month old little girl? By the way what is her name?

Letta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her name is Luna. I will do thank you :)