Howling..peeing..meowing..

Alize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys so I've got a howling cat and she literally walks around talking non stop. She also peed in front of her litter box most of the time. I make sure its cleaned all the time. I exercise her, I've purchased stimulating games for her. Shes an only pet. Bengal. I've tried the calming collars which has only worked for 5 days and even with a fresh collar no longer affects her...
I'm about to lose my mind.. any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The usual questions that need to be asked:
How old is she?
When was she last seen by a vet?
What, if anything, besides howling and inappropriate peeing is going on?
Has she always done this, or is this new behavior?

This information will help a lot!! Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has this been going on?---oh, sorry, I didn't see your update. It's not new behavior.

Do you think she'd like to have a kitty friend? Is that possible for you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has this been going on?---oh, sorry, I didn't see your update. It's not new behavior.

Do you think she'd like to have a kitty friend? Is that possible for you?
That's what I also thought might help so after her sister died I felt she was lonely and got another female Bengal about a year you get than her but they never got along. Just a few months ago I gave her to a friend who loved her. Alize has gone through a move, my new bf, plus a roommate, smaller house and is an only pet only in the last few months - lots of changes but things arent getting better for her.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi A Alize , so sorry to hear about this recent behaviour. I have a couple of bengals too and they can be LOUD when they get going. I think your best bet at this point is to take your girl to the vet for the routine medical checks for FLUTD (crystals, urinary tract infection, cystitis).

Also as an FYI I know you mentioned getting her a buddy already, but oftentimes girls are territorial and don't get along well with other girls. Just in case you are considering it look for a friendly male instead of a female.

Alize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi A Alize , so sorry to hear about this recent behaviour. I have a couple of bengals too and they can be LOUD when they get going. I think your best bet at this point is to take your girl to the vet for the routine medical checks for FLUTD (crystals, urinary tract infection, cystitis).

Also as an FYI I know you mentioned getting her a buddy already, but oftentimes girls are territorial and don't get along well with other girls. Just in case you are considering it look for a friendly male instead of a female.
Yes I think you're right it's time for a routine check up. We are planning to move again and our set up should be much better; have 2 cat genies set up instead of reg litter boxes, bigger place and either secured backyard or cat enclosure outside.

At the moment I've set up another litter box for her, put a feliway diffuser in her litter box space, feeding her just a tad more (she yells at me when her dish is empty) any suggestions on how to transport her in vehicle to a vet calmly?

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At the moment I've set up another litter box for her, put a feliway diffuser in her litter box space, feeding her just a tad more (she yells at me when her dish is empty) any suggestions on how to transport her in vehicle to a vet calmly?
I don't think you need to do anything too fancy for getting her to the vet. Just put her in her crate and bring a towel along to throw overtop. If she is really anxious you can also ask your vet for some gabapentin to help relax her.

Glad to hear you're taking her to the vet!

Alize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think you need to do anything too fancy for getting her to the vet. Just put her in her crate and bring a towel along to throw overtop. If she is really anxious you can also ask your vet for some gabapentin to help relax her.

Glad to hear you're taking her to the vet!
Is gabapentin best drug to relax a cat? I'll ask my vet too. This summer we are moving again but this time will be a 4hour drive. Alize cried the whole car ride last move -45min drive poor thing :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always test drugs to relax cats at home before beginning any trip. Not every drug affects every cat in the same way. The trip to the vet would be an excellent way to test the gabapentin, if she can still be spayed the next day.

Alize

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great idea thank you everyone!