Howling cat

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For some reason over the past couple of months, if I'm at home I can't be alone.

If I close myself in a room without Mia, bedroom, bathroom, even if I let her in the bathroom with me but shut her out of the shower she wants to join.

She sits there and scratches and howls. Her meow is very tiny and cute but when I'm apart from her she makes this very deep howl/cry.

Then when I open the door, she climbs me and snuggles in my arms.

It's kind of annoying, but what I'm really concerned about is, why is she acting this way? Is she really as stressed as she sounds? What is she doing when I leave for work?

Does anybody else get this?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she may have some separation anxiety, but first I'd have her checked by a vet to rule out any possible health issues. You could try some feliway diffusers around the house until your vet can check her out. It may help as a start.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like a classic case of separation anxiety.. But if it's really full-on, it's a good idea to rule out any medical issues first.

Mia needs lots of stimulation around the place.. toys.. a cat tower, preferably with a view outside. Lots of playtime with you.  Sometimes a Feliway Diffuser can help.. it releases pheromones that can help pacify cats.

As for when you go out, leave the radio on, and don't make too big a fuss of her when you leave the house or return (it sounds odd, but it makes your coming and going more 'normal'.)

The good thing is, she's not backward about coming forward.. you certainly have a snugglecat

EDIT:  Katluver4life and I crossed posts.. But it seems we agree

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, she gets a lot of attention and play from three adults and we do wear her out as much as possible. Plus she has so many toys I'm not allowed to buy more lol.

So il look into this "feliway diffuser".

Maybe it has to do with the fact that she's not neutered yet? She's getting fixed tomorrow.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, she gets a lot of attention and play from three adults and we do wear her out as much as possible. Plus she has so many toys I'm not allowed to buy more lol.

So il look into this "feliway diffuser".

Maybe it has to do with the fact that she's not neutered yet? She's getting fixed tomorrow.
Could be. While she is there have her thoroughly checked out.

Wearing her out is great and can help with her confidence, but that also reinforces her need of having SOMEONE around to play with. She needs to be stimulated with interactive toy's or site's that don't need you around to make things happen. I'm not saying DON'T play with her till she's worn out, just in addition to that. Window perches or cat tree near a window, food puzzles are good. I know where your coming from when you say she has too many toys already. I have spent tons on toys mine won't play with. It's a lot of trial and error to find just the RIGHT one that does the trick. I found toys that squeak when batted around can keep my cats interested for quite awhile. The trick is to make her feel confident being alone.

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could be. While she is there have her thoroughly checked out.

Wearing her out is great and can help with her confidence, but that also reinforces her need of having SOMEONE around to play with. She needs to be stimulated with interactive toy's or site's that don't need you around to make things happen. I'm not saying DON'T play with her till she's worn out, just in addition to that. Window perches or cat tree near a window, food puzzles are good. I know where your coming from when you say she has too many toys already. I have spent tons on toys mine won't play with. It's a lot of trial and error to find just the RIGHT one that does the trick. I found toys that squeak when batted around can keep my cats interested for quite awhile. The trick is to make her feel confident being alone.
She actually plays with most of her toys, goodness knows how she has the time. Lol and she has a perch in our bedroom window. And a cat tree.. And a spot she likes to sit in the front window where she can see the cars go by.

I let her snuggle with me and sleep on my pillow during the night, is this bad behaviour on my part?

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She even gets on me and lays on her back so that il cradle her and rub her tummy and play with her toes. I've almost got her suckling under control.. She only suckles her own blanket now.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I let her snuggle with me and sleep on my pillow during the night, is this bad behaviour on my part?
Absolutely not.

I didn't ask before, but how old is she? If she's been suckling and still is, this is a thing cats do to comfort themselves and usually comes from being weaned or taken from mom too young. If she is still young, then most likely she will out grow all this behavior as she becomes more secure. My male cat suckled, but out grew it. At times he climbs up on me and makes an attempt to suckle again, but it's like he's forgotten how he used to do it, and so just lays back and enjoys a belly rub instead. lol.

melhammouche

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's almost 6 months. So she's still a baby. I got the suckling under control to the point where she doesn't suck my clothes or my blankets or cushions. And I encourage her to suck her own blankie. Maybe it is her age.