How young can cats be when they start mating?

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

I have a 5 and half month old male kitten and I have recently adopted a 3 week old female kitten.
I was reading this article that stated that some cats may start mating at 6 months old. so I started wondering: can male cats mate with kittens that are significantly younger? should I be monitoring my cats all the time so that the male doesn't try anything with the little female?
can female kittens' bodies put up with mating if the male cat is significantly older?

Just so you know, I live in a small studio. I have no doors in my place other than the bathroom door. So, separating the cats is not going to be a piece of cake.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
They can mate as young as 3 months. Not sure what would happen with kittens? I assume nothing to worry about. I wonder if a male cat can tell when the female is old enough

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
They can mate as young as 3 months. Not sure what would happen with kittens? I assume nothing to worry about. I wonder if a male cat can tell when the female is old enough
that's why I'm worried.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get your male fixed now so it's not an issue when your female is old enough to come into heat. Is your female still with her litter? Or did you mean she is three months old?

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Get your male fixed now so it's not an issue when your female is old enough to come into heat. Is your female still with her litter? Or did you mean she is three months old?
no she is 3 weeks old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you bottle-feeding her? Is she orphaned? You should keep her in a secure room or a carrier/cage when you're not around until she's at least 8-10 weeks old, because very young kittens can get into accidents very easily.

The male should be castrated soon, then you won't have to worry if she goes into heat at an early age. The youngest I've heard of a female going into heat is 14 weeks (3 1/2 months).

Yes, a male can hurt a very small/young female if he attempts to mate with her, so you should supervise their interactions until she's close to his size.

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you bottle-feeding her? Is she orphaned? You should keep her in a secure room or a carrier/cage when you're not around until she's at least 8-10 weeks old, because very young kittens can get into accidents very easily.

The male should be castrated soon, then you won't have to worry if she goes into heat at an early age. The youngest I've heard of a female going into heat is 14 weeks (3 1/2 months).

Yes, a male can hurt a very small/young female if he attempts to mate with her, so you should supervise their interactions until she's close to his size.
that is very helpful. thank you.
Actually I still did not get her. I made all the formal paperwork to get her but she is still at the shelter. I don't know how things go at your area, but this is what we do in my country. the shelter wants to keep her until she is 6 weeks old. this is when I get to get her.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good, it's difficult to raise an orphan kitten so it's better that she's at the shelter. 6 weeks is still quite young but at least she should be past needing a bottle. Do you know if the shelter has her mother, or is she being raised by a shelter employee?

I'd recommend having the male neutered before she comes home so that you don't have to deal with an active kitten at the same time he's trying to recover.

dalya

Dalya
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh good, it's difficult to raise an orphan kitten so it's better that she's at the shelter. 6 weeks is still quite young but at least she should be past needing a bottle. Do you know if the shelter has her mother, or is she being raised by a shelter employee?

I'd recommend having the male neutered before she comes home so that you don't have to deal with an active kitten at the same time he's trying to recover.
I was told the mother died. very sad.