How would you not be sad

animallover9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know my friend is not a cat person but the cats at his parents house he has had most his life they are 10-15 he is 22 and for the oldest one he keeps saying things like he better die before winter if not he has to hold on another year. Maybe we should dig a hole in the yard before the snow comes this winter. The cat is yes going down hill but still has a few good years left I believe. His mom loves this cat dearly and after 15 years is very attached. I dont understand how you can have an animal in your life for that long and not care if they die? I have three cats and the oldest is a year and a half and if anything happened to any of them I would be devastated if anything happened to any of them. I understand anticipating them not making it much longer like I am with my moms 15 year old cocker spaniel we got her when I was 5 and I would be very upset when she passes but I know it will be in the next few years and am preparing myself. Is he preparing himself in a different way or just being a jerk.

Last edited by a moderator:

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible he could be preparing himself. We all cope differently. Being a jerk is also a possibility. A condition I refer to as young man anger. The transition from youth to adulthood is not easily handled by some guys. Usually, eventually, age and life experience will repair this condition. Most of us would never consider pre digging a grave, although it does occur where the ground freezes deeply. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my friends told me that her kids have told her that her older cat is "not dying fast enough."  I hope they never get cats of their own.