How would you describe my family?

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, there are lots of different terms for kitties colours so how would you describe them? (Apart from gorgeous lol)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are two different?  Or one from two different positions?

Anyway, the second pic is on a classic tabby. Very beautiful, but still "just classic tabby"

The first I dont see clearly, but I suspect he is both  tabby and tortoiseshell, and white,

so it is called for torbie and white.

Verry pretty.

Tabby is as you know a pattern, NOT a breed.

Good luck!

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 They are gorgeous Classic Tabbies.    That's the most recessive tabby pattern;  it has to be inherited from both parents in order to show it.   

The first one is either a Brown Classic Tabby and White  or a Brown Classic Torbie and White     Torbie = tortoiseshell color plus tabby pattern.  It's also called a  "Tortie Tabby" or "Patched Tabby".  I can't see the coloring well enough to tell if it's just variation in Brown Tabby,  or if it looks like there is also red-based color .   so some more photos might help.   To me the cat looked more like Brown Classic Tabby and White.  but I saw that Stefan was thinking Torbie,   and I can't rule that out without seeing more.  

The 2nd one is a very handsome Red Classic Tabby.   No difficulty seeing that red!   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys, yes my boy is very red!! I've added some more of my little one to see if it helps her tabby markings are red and black I think.

My other female is a definite tortoiseshell

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Yes,  I see  that red now on her now.  She is a Torbie .    Her color/ pattern is Brown Classic Torbie and White.   

( It's called  Torbie in TICA,  but the same thing would be called Tortie Tabby in the GCCF,  the older cat registry in the UK.)     

She got Red from one parent and "not Red" ( which defaults to Black-based color)  from the other parent.      Those genes are on the X chromosome,  and a female gets 2 X's  so can have both types of pigment.    That's why it's common for female cats to be torties & torbies.   

They are really some beautiful cats!  

I mentioned that Classic Tabby is recessive and has to be inherited from both parents.   so it's less common than the striped ones ( mackerel tabby)  or broken up stripes.    But it seems to be more common in the UK than elsewhere and it may be that is where it originated. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maestromad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks maewkaew, I think they're beautiful but obviously I'm very biased. My red tabby male I know is the image of his mum as she was a feral cat I don't know who dad was!
And the kitten is more than her mum who is more of a chestnut brown colour but very similar markings; the only problem with her is as her mum is a farm cat it's believed that her dad mated with her (the local Tom) so they have te same fathers! Very confusin lol but she's gorgeous so I'm happy