How would i describe this black and gray boy?

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is cute.
To me, he looks like a Black, Domestic Medium Hair that still has a "fever coat." That happens when the mother cat is sick or has something going on and the babies are exposed to higher than normal Temps for a bit. Coloring like this can also happen when babies are on meds for a while for something like ringworm. Eventually the gray part grows out as they shed...so I think as he gets older he will look more and more like a solid black cat. He may still keep some gray just because some of the long haired cats that are black have a little graying...but he may not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

megladame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is cute.
To me, he looks like a Black, Domestic Medium Hair that still has a "fever coat." That happens when the mother cat is sick or has something going on and the babies are exposed to higher than normal Temps for a bit. Coloring like this can also happen when babies are on meds for a while for something like ringworm. Eventually the gray part grows out as they shed...so I think as he gets older he will look more and more like a solid black cat. He may still keep some gray just because some of the long haired cats that are black have a little graying...but he may not.
I agree, this seems to be a fever coat..   But. It seems as usually its black which is the natural color of them with fever coat. So it seems as its blackies whom are most prone to get a fever coat?   Is there an equivalent with other colors?

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, this seems to be a fever coat..   But. It seems as usually its black which is the natural color of them with fever coat. So it seems as its blackies whom are most prone to get a fever coat?   Is there an equivalent with other colors?
At our shelter, we had a tortoiseshell baby with a fever coat. It was the ugliest, weirdest kinda cute you've ever seen. It had a black and orange body, with gray tips like this one does, a chocolate colored face, and brown/black/orange/gray weirdness on its legs and tail. It really looked like 2 kittens had been spliced together. LOL

But other than that, I have also seen mostly black with fever coats. I have no idea why that is but it is a good observation. Maybe it just isn't as noticeable on other colors....but then again, black is also more prone to sun bleaching and color change while shedding, so it could just be that the color is more sensitive and changes easier than others. Who knows? It's all a little strange when it comes to cats anyways ;-) haha unique and mysterious creatures.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

megladame

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're still trying to come up with names so now I'll cross off all the gray reference ones lol. We will bring him home in about two weeks. Our lil torbie needs a play buddy. Our 10 year old gal just doesn't want to play as much as her lol