How would I describe her?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone, meet Gracie Moon! She's our newest addition. We fell in love with her and brought her home. She's a five month old! Any idea what breed? People say she looks Siamese, but her fur is floofy and her sister looked a lil more long haired. Would she count as a domestic short hair?

1646629872380.png

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She's a domestic shorthair. Color/pattern is seal point, possibly seal lynx point or tortie point. I would need to see more of her body and tail to determine the pattern.

The pointed gene is thought to have originated with siamese cats but it's spread into other breeds as well as the general non-pedigreed cat population. So yes, she probably has siamese somewhere in her background but it could be several generations back.

Whatever her background she is one gorgeous kitty. :loveeyes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
She's a domestic shorthair. Color/pattern is seal point, possibly seal lynx point or tortie point. I would need to see more of her body and tail to determine the pattern.

The pointed gene is thought to have originated with siamese cats but it's spread into other breeds as well as the general non-pedigreed cat population. So yes, she probably has siamese somewhere in her background but it could be several generations back.

Whatever her background she is one gorgeous kitty. :loveeyes:
Ty!

She's so sweet! We all love her so much already.

Mostly I started to worry about looking up possible health issues she might face if she's Siamese or Himalayan, because my brain goes WEEEEE and I worry about all of that and how to stay one step ahead, lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a soft spot for pointed cats, she is absolutely adorable. Be prepared for her to be stubborn, energetic, and VERY talkative with her siamese background. if she has a lot of it in her, her fur will be slightly coarser and have a different odor than a non siamese. she most likely will get a little darker as she ages too. I lOVE her already!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a soft spot for pointed cats, she is absolutely adorable. Be prepared for her to be stubborn, energetic, and VERY talkative with her siamese background. if she has a lot of it in her, her fur will be slightly coarser and have a different odor than a non siamese. she most likely will get a little darker as she ages too. I lOVE her already!
Colorpoints are common enough in DSH/DLH now that many have no siamese breed in them at all actually. :)

We would need to see more pictures of her to tell if she's a longhair or not. More body pictures for sure. If both parents were longhairs it's a guarantee that she is a longhair. Not sure if you know the parents though. If I saw body pictures I could tell you for sure if she's a longhair or not :) Pics of the sister too please. She's a stunning girl!

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
She's not really stubborn or too energetic as of yet, but she IS talkative. She also seems to be demanding with wanting to be pet while she eats.

She may be stubborn, now that I think of it though. She's shown absolutely no fear when the other cats hiss at her, nor has she drawn back and away from the dogs when they go right up to her. She just sits there and looks at them like 'hey'
Wants to be petted ALL the time, lol melts in your arms when held which is hilarious since none of our cats like to be held except Charlie and Mia and only when -they- want to be held.

Not sure on the coarse fur. As of right now, she's VERY VERY soft and fluffy, like a lil floofy marshmallow D:

Colorpoints are common enough in DSH/DLH now that many have no siamese breed in them at all actually. :)
We would need to see more pictures of her to tell if she's a longhair or not. More body pictures for sure. If both parents were longhairs it's a guarantee that she is a longhair. Not sure if you know the parents though. If I saw body pictures I could tell you for sure if she's a longhair or not :) Pics of the sister too please. She's a stunning girl!
Sadly I didn't take any photos of her sister! And I have no idea what her parents looked like. She and the sister looked similar only her sister was a lil longer haired and darker in the face though.

Here are some more pictures! Don't mind the christmas decorations that are still up, please. XD

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm the ear fur is a bit long but the tail fur is short. She might be a shorthair just has thicker fur. This pic was my boy Fynn at 5 months old, he's the less fluffiest one of my floofers lol. You can see the tufts of fur between his toes. That's a clear sign of a longhair. If there's none then your girl is short hair.

20190313_153946.jpg

AnSDRfanhere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everyone, meet Gracie Moon! She's our newest addition. We fell in love with her and brought her home. She's a five month old! Any idea what breed? People say she looks Siamese, but her fur is floofy and her sister looked a lil more long haired. Would she count as a domestic short hair?

View attachment 412929
Seal-tortie point shorthair! Those are one of the more uncommon types of cats, so you're lucky to have one!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a gorgeous seal tortie point looks like dsh prolly to me, with siamese heritage somewhere down the line. Being a seal tortie with siamese background she may be very a dominant girl 😹😻 my two tortie were opposites though, one was laid back and so sweet but a bit stubborn and the other was all feisty and very sweet too, both super smart, the feisty girl was part siamese.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Added a bunch of photos of Gracie (and two with my momma!) now that she's more interested in letting me take pictures of her.

She's an absolute doll. VERY vocal and not really afraid of anyone or anything. She LOVES to be snuggled, but also just kind of flops around the house. She's not very active and doesn't seem big on play unless I kind of force her, but she does play with our other kitten, Charlie, when he engages her.

She's super gentle, sweet-natured.

Any chance she could be mixed with ragdoll? (Is that an actual breed? x.x I know very little about breeding - I'm just genuinely curious what her make up is!)

She's my adorable little floofball, though, so XD

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope colorpoints are so common in DSH/DLH now most don't even have siamese in them lol. I do think she is a tortie point though given her orange paw and I think a short hair. Just a longer short hair :) She's stunning

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Added a bunch of photos of Gracie (and two with my momma!) now that she's more interested in letting me take pictures of her.

She's an absolute doll. VERY vocal and not really afraid of anyone or anything. She LOVES to be snuggled, but also just kind of flops around the house. She's not very active and doesn't seem big on play unless I kind of force her, but she does play with our other kitten, Charlie, when he engages her.

She's super gentle, sweet-natured.

Any chance she could be mixed with ragdoll? (Is that an actual breed? x.x I know very little about breeding - I'm just genuinely curious what her make up is!)

She's my adorable little floofball, though, so XD
Aww she is adorable. She sounds wonderul 😻 There is no way to tell what her heritage may be for sure and without a histroy and pedigree etc. she would be dsh seal tortie point. I don’t think she looks longhair enough to look ragdoll but she is a bit fluffy and that can change.

Ragdoll is a breed. See links. They were originally bred from an all white angora like domestic longhair cat called Josephine. She was bred with seal point males who were either Birman or Burmese like from what I can tell. Ann Baker the original breeder kept the registration restricted to her own group for a long time and eventually there was a dispute about what pb ragdolls should look like ending with them being colorpoints and often bicolor cp.

The first kittens were a mix of cp and solid, with an all black cat. Some breeders still breed non colorpoint ragdolls and register them but they are not show quality as they do not match the breed standard.

All colorpoint cats have siamese heritage somewhere down the line, that is where the points came from, albeit usually pretty distant in a domestic population. In my area we don’t have very many cp in the domestic cat population, I have only seen a handful in a long time doing rescue/ volunteer etc. I see lots advertised for adoption in CA and the south.

Ragdoll - Wikipedia
Ragdoll Cat Blog - Floppycats

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Nope colorpoints are so common in DSH/DLH now most don't even have siamese in them lol. I do think she is a tortie point though given her orange paw and I think a short hair. Just a longer short hair :) She's stunning
Her sister had longer hair than she did! Not by MUCH, but yeah. She had longer hair and was bigger, had a slightly darker face too. Other than that they were identical though.

And thank you! She's so aware of how beautiful she is, she kind of struts around lol

Aww she is adorable. She sounds wonderul 😻 There is no way to tell what her heritage may be for sure and without a histroy and pedigree etc. she would be dsh seal tortie point. I don’t think she looks longhair enough to look ragdoll but she is a bit fluffy and that can change.

Ragdoll is a breed. See links. They were originally bred from an all white angora like domestic longhair cat called Josephine. She was bred with seal point males who were either Birman or Burmese like from what I can tell. Ann Baker the original breeder kept the registration restricted to her own group for a long time and eventually there was a dispute about what pb ragdolls should look like ending with them being colorpoints and often bicolor cp.

The first kittens were a mix of cp and solid, with an all black cat. Some breeders still breed non colorpoint ragdolls and register them but they are not show quality as they do not match the breed standard.

All colorpoint cats have siamese heritage somewhere down the line, that is where the points came from, albeit usually pretty distant in a domestic population. In my area we don’t have very many cp in the domestic cat population, I have only seen a handful in a long time doing rescue/ volunteer etc. I see lots advertised for adoption in CA and the south.

Ragdoll - Wikipedia
Ragdoll Cat Blog - Floppycats
Oh, wow! That's all really cool information and thank you forsharing it!

When I had looked up ragdoll kittens (my friend had mentioned wanting one so I got curious and looked them up!) I noticed some of them share an appearance with Gracie.

I'm still waiting to see on her fur. Her sisters fur was longer, but her sister also seemed bigger. I suppose it's also possible that Gracie was a runt, though! She's a LOT smaller than Charlie - and they're roughly the same age, though different types of cats all together.

Good morning to both of you by the way!