How Worried Should I Be?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well today I tore a maybe 4-6 inch string off a pillow and threw it in the garbage. Making sure to cover it with some other trash because Mia seems to like strings. I did that so she wouldn’t eat it. And she usually doesn’t go in that garbage can.

But today she decided to, probably because it had some crinkly paper in it. And being the worry wart I am, I immediately looked for the string and couldn’t find it. Now I have no idea if she ate it or if it just ended up somewhere else and I have no idea what the chances are that she ate this string out of the trash.

But I’m not sure how worried I should be. I mean I’ll be worried nonetheless, but I’m just wondering how worried I *should* be. I have no idea if she ate it. It could be anywhere, but I searched the trash thoroughly and it wasn’t there. I searched the ground around the trash can and it wasn’t there.

I’m just such a worry wart when it comes to this cat. Because I love her so much. How long do I have to worry before knowing for sure that she’s safe and isn’t gonna have perforated intestines.

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to tell you, but just want to say I feel your pain because I do the same stuff and drive myself nuts. Usually, things turn out fine. I hope she's OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah the waiting is just the worst part because I’m just like “well this could be it, my baby could die” even though it’s probably going to be fine. I just blow it way out of proportion. But I just couldn’t bear to lose my fur baby. If anything happened to her I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. So I worry constantly if anything like this ever happens. :(

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well so far things are still completely normal. Except for the fact that Mia is a little irritated that I keep pushing on her belly to check for any tenderness

But I know it’s too soon to know for sure, so I’ll keep you guys updated for sure!

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So many, many, 25 or more, years ago we had a cat get a piece of dental floss. It got caught on something in his intestines and caused issues. He started throwing up a lot. Ended up needing a major surgery. He mostly recovered but would throw up every couple of weeks. I didn’t know until after the surgery that the issue was caused by dental floss put in a trash can that the kitty fished out and swallowed. I hope your kitty either didn’t eat the string ir that it will just pass through. Be very careful with strings, floss, etc.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I usually put everything in this garbage with a cover, but she never goes in the one garbage can so I thought I’d put it in there. Luckily the bathroom trash can also has a cover and I’ve never seen her even try to go in that one. But it is one of those spinny tops, so maybe I should get a foot activated one for there just in case....

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was checking her poop today and found a bunch of hair but not the string. But with the amount of hair I found in her poop I bet even if I do look it’ll be hard to find anyways. But it makes me feel a little better because I read somewhere that the safest way for string to pass through is if it gets caught up with cat hair that your cat eats while grooming. I don’t know if that should make me feel better but it does help a little.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the waiting is just the worst part because I’m just like “well this could be it, my baby could die” even though it’s probably going to be fine. I just blow it way out of proportion. But I just couldn’t bear to lose my fur baby. If anything happened to her I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. So I worry constantly if anything like this ever happens. :(
:alright::grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::crossfingers::grouphug2:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it makes you feel any better I would feel exactly the same way as you, i.e. worry wart. Therefore, I would recommend calling your vet and asking them their professional opinion as well as what signs/symptoms to look for in your cat. Best of luck, I hope Mia is okay. :alright:

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so it’s been quite a while so I feel as if Mia is in the clear. Though I’ve bought two new covered garbage cans to ease my mind.

Thanks for all the support guys! :)

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad Mia seems to have dodged a bullet! Hopefully the new garbage cans will keep her safe from strings!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. Recently my cat played hockey with a hearing aid battery. I don't know why she thinks my hearing aids are toys (she knocks things off). It was under the oven, never to be seen again. Later I felt like an idiot for thinking my cat, who had no symptoms of battery poisoning, swallowed it.