How uncommon are brown cats?

man114

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one cat Dum Dum, domestic long hair, which we initially though was black as a kitten is actually dark chocolate brown, almost appearing golden in a camera flash or bright sun. Is this uncommon? You don't seem to see many solid brown cats.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Truly brown cats are uncommon.  However, black cats can often have a reddening factor that makes them look brownish especially in the light.

The brown tabbies we see so frequently are genetically actually black tabbies with a lot of reddening.  So yes, solid brown cats are quite uncommon.  The Havana Brown is a breed that is exclusively true brown but in the mixed-breed population, one doesn't see many browns.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

man114

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dum Dum is easily distinguished as a deep brown even in a dimly lit room. Her coat is completely uniform with no markings or patches. I tried taking several photos, but due to the shininess of her coat you can't really tell how uniform it is and when you use a flash you get reflections and she appears golden. I'll get a picture and you'll see what I mean.

josbd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two chaps were a lovely chocolate brown when they first came to us, but as they reached around 12 months, they appeared to be totally black. One has sadly very recently left us, but Squizzy, as he gets older, is returning to the original chocolate colour. 

katzen44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many breeds are brown like the Suffolk chocolate, Havana Brown, York Chocolate..

kkoerner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One way to tell if a cat is black, but with a lot of rust, making it look brown...or actually chocolate....is to look at the nose leather. In a genetically chocolate cat, it will also be chocolate, not gray or black.