How To Use Up Dry Food Samples?

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going through my kittien supplies and reorganizing because we got a delivery of canned food today, and I came across some sample packs of dry food. I have a few 4 oz bags of "I and Love and You" and a few bags of 2 oz. Nulo Freestyle.

I don't really want to "transition" my kitten to these foods, but I gave her a few pieces and she likes them. Do you think I could just open them up and mix them in with our kibble? It would just variety, and be like a treat or something... Yes? No?

I don't give her dry kibble very much, but I do leave some out for her overnight, because she likes to eat all the time.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use them as treats. I have a ton of Ziwipeak samples that I’ve been using as treats. :biggrin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can use them as treats. I have a ton of Ziwipeak samples that I’ve been using as treats. :biggrin:
Yes, that would be a good way to use them up. This girl likes everything! I was hoping she wouldn't like them, then I wouldn't feel guilty getting rid of them, lol. But she likes them, so I want to let her have some.

Thank you!

Last edited:

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I crush up the kibble and use that as a topper along with a bit of PureBites. I do that like every other day or so, that way my cat doesn't expect it to happen all the time.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Using them as treats is a great idea! You could even put them into a puzzle feeder to get her some extra mental stimulation.

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Using them as treats is a great idea! You could even put them into a puzzle feeder to get her some extra mental stimulation.
These are all great ideas, and I'm using a combination of them all! I added the same size kibble to her regular kibble, and the rest I am using as occasional treats and toppers.

I'm not familiar with puzzle feeders. Are those what they call slow feeders? The ones that make the cats work a little harder at getting their food?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Back when my cats were on dry food, I'd combine playtime and mealtime by tossing pieces across the room or down the hall, and they'd go crazy with excitement and chase down the pieces to eat them. It was Saipha's favorite game - I think she liked the chasing part even more than the eating part of it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
These are all great ideas, and I'm using a combination of them all! I added the same size kibble to her regular kibble, and the rest I am using as occasional treats and toppers.

I'm not familiar with puzzle feeders. Are those what they call slow feeders? The ones that make the cats work a little harder at getting their food?
I think puzzle feeders are similar to slow feeders- but a bit more effort on the cat's side. Something like this: PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Cat Feeder, also mixes in a bit of physical activity with the puzzle aspect.

-Mia-

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay! I've been thinking about getting on of those... and also wondering if I should get something like this too (what I thought you meant by puzzle feeder):

or this:

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the bottom one. With two kittens the variety of ways to place kibble for then to access really helps. One likes to pull it out of the tunnel. One likes to fish it out of the bowls.