how to turn indoor cats into outdoor cats

rawrmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm moving to Washington state in a few months and want my cats to be able to enjoy the outdoors. How do you transition a fully indoor cat into an outdoor/indoor cat? I'd like to be able to let them wander and explore during the day but I'm worried they may wander too far away. There's coyotes pretty prevalent so I'd keep them inside at night, but how do you transition a cat into wanting to go outdoors for the day, but staying close by to come in at night?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not make them an enclosure, and/or take them out on leash? It's much safer...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let them wander, unless you cat proof the yard so they can't get out (netted cover or cat fencing) or as said above

annagy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an outdoor cat but I live in the UK and we don't have any coyotes here :-D If there were coyotes or even cars around that he could get to, I would keep him in. However, if you have decided to let your cats out, then my experience is that my cat took to it very quickly. You need to keep them in your new place for about a month, as they need to identify it as 'home' before you let them out. Then, when you first let them out, let them out when you haven't fed them and they are going to get hungry. This will help to make sure they return. Train them by calling their names and banging their food bowls, and you'll find they come back pretty quick. As I said though, you've already identified there are some dangers nearby, so if it were me, I think I would keep them as indoor cats.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not let your cats out without an enclosure if there are coyotes around. They will not give up the opportunity to take your cats in broad daylight...

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Annagy has great advice on transitioning your cat to the outdoors. I too live in an area where there are coyotes. My cat goes out sometimes during the day, luckily when I am not out with him he stays near the house. My house is also in a forest, so there are a lot of trees that he can climb if a coyote does happen across him. I make sure to check on him frequently when he is outdoors, and he doesn't stay out for very long at one time. Most of the time I am outside with him, and we take walks together.

Cat enclosures and leash training are both wonderful ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawrmonster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're in a wooded area as well so plenty of climbing opportunities. I'll definitely try these things. I don't intend to let them outside too long during the day, and definitely not at night.