How To Turn An Outdoor Cat Into Indoor?

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i'm new to the site and i would like to hear some advice to turn my 5 month old male cat into an indoor cat. His name is Teacup and i didn't get him fixed yet. Back then, i used to let him play outside whenever he wanted to, but in this week he went missing for 2 days, monday to wednesday, he finally came back at night of wednesday. Back then, when i want him to return i just need to call his name and he's just around but in those 2 days i think he went pretty far from home because when i call for him i didn't hear anything. Searching for him in 2 days all day even at night make me really worried and tired and i don't want that to happen again. I know there are many dangers out there like cars, people who hate cats plus i'm living in Vietnam where people eat dog and cat meat so there's type of burglar always tryna kidnap your pets and sell them for restaurants. That's why i really need your help with this.
Thank you guys for reading and i'm really sorry for my terrible English.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He should be neutered, and then his desire to go outside and wander should be much less severe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He should be neutered, and then his desire to go outside and wander should be much less severe.
Yeah, that's all i can think of but i really want to wait till he 6 month old.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

At only 5 months, Teacup (LOVE his name) should be easy to turn into a inside only cat. Here are some TCS articles that have tips that might help. And, yes, as talkingpeanut talkingpeanut mentioned, getting him neutered should lessen his urges to roam.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

At only 5 months, Teacup (LOVE his name) should be easy to turn into a inside only cat. Here are some TCS articles that have tips that might help. And, yes, as talkingpeanut talkingpeanut mentioned, getting him neutered should lessen his urges to roam.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite
Much appreciated, really helpful information, i'll definitely try some of those out. I'm so happy to know that you love his name.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We turned our outdoor stray Olive into an indoor kitty when she was about 3. What helped us was having her transition immediately with no access outside at all.

Also when she got antsy and wanted to go out we would play with her a lot which really helped. At 5 months I think you will have a much easier time with Teacup.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
All of our 9 cats were outside before we took them in, most right from our backyard, and it didn't really take long for them to get used to it and realize "this is pretty good in here!". We open the windows (with screens in of course) when it is nice so they can look out and smell the air and watch whatever is out there, and I can honestly say except for maybe Stanley and Sylvester I'd bet that I could stand there with the door wide open and tell them "go ahead, go outside, it's okay" they wouldn't do it, once they realize how nice and comfortable it is inside they seemed to forget all about living outside.

I hope that you have the same luck we did!

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We turned our outdoor stray Olive into an indoor kitty when she was about 3. What helped us was having her transition immediately with no access outside at all.

Also when she got antsy and wanted to go out we would play with her a lot which really helped. At 5 months I think you will have a much easier time with Teacup.
I do spent like 20 to 30 minutes a day to play with him but it seems like he's still got a lot of energy left inside of him. Sometimes he yelling really loud at late night, the time i just wanna get some sleep, i do nothing but keep pretending that i already fall asleep.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I do spent like 20 to 30 minutes a day to play with him but it seems like he's still got a lot of energy left inside of him. Sometimes he yelling really loud at late night, the time i just wanna get some sleep, i do nothing but keep pretending that i already fall asleep.
Maybe he needs a playmate? It would either help him or really make you nuts lol!!!

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of our 9 cats were outside before we took them in, most right from our backyard, and it didn't really take long for them to get used to it and realize "this is pretty good in here!". We open the windows (with screens in of course) when it is nice so they can look out and smell the air and watch whatever is out there, and I can honestly say except for maybe Stanley and Sylvester I'd bet that I could stand there with the door wide open and tell them "go ahead, go outside, it's okay" they wouldn't do it, once they realize how nice and comfortable it is inside they seemed to forget all about living outside.

I hope that you have the same luck we did!
9? Wow, you and your family are such an amazing people. And yes, i hope my dude will get used to it in no time like yours. Sadly that my house doesn't have any window that can look outside.

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe he needs a playmate? It would either help him or really make you nuts lol!!!
Oh yeah, i almost forgot that i have a plan to get another cat so they can be friend with each other but i need to get Teacup fixed first. I do own a dog too, but he and Teacup doesn't seem get along pretty well, they do play with each other but rarely.

cuppa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend adopted a stray cat I brought in from outside. She was estimated to be just shy of a year old, but we can't really know for sure. She was already a very friendly cat, so getting used to humans was easier for her. We got her spayed right away. I'm not sure if you have the option, but this cat loves to spend time on a screened in patio. Some safe time outside (like a screened in porch or catio) might help sate the desire to be outdoors.

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There isn't any need to wait. Now is the perfect time.
Yeah, i asked people the same question and their answers just the same as yours. He'll get neuter in the next week, i promise.

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend adopted a stray cat I brought in from outside. She was estimated to be just shy of a year old, but we can't really know for sure. She was already a very friendly cat, so getting used to humans was easier for her. We got her spayed right away. I'm not sure if you have the option, but this cat loves to spend time on a screened in patio. Some safe time outside (like a screened in porch or catio) might help sate the desire to be outdoors.
Since my house doesn't have things like those, when he wanna go outside i'm planning to let him play on the second floor balcony but only with leash, where he can look down the road.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others have said since he's still a Kitten it should be very easy to get him to stay inside only. The best way to do it would be to just bring him in and never let him out again, it will be much safer for him and less stress for you worrying about him being outside.

I'd also second that getting him a playmate would help, but how do you think your Dog would react to another Kitten?

BaoTrung

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As others have said since he's still a Kitten it should be very easy to get him to stay inside only. The best way to do it would be to just bring him in and never let him out again, it will be much safer for him and less stress for you worrying about him being outside.

I'd also second that getting him a playmate would help, but how do you think your Dog would react to another Kitten?
I think my dog will do just fine, he's a good boy.