How to train a cat to wait for mealtime to come?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m an avid PC gamer and proud cat daddy. I feed Terra 4 times a day at 6 AM, 8 AM, 3 PM, and 8 PM. II have Terra trained to associate a particular ringtone on my phone with mealtime, but she will often disrupt my game by walking in front of my monitor usually half an hour before feeding time.

Is there any way I can train Terra to not disrupt my gaming, or will I just have to live with it? Sh’s 20 years old, if that makes any difference.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Your wonderful elderly lady will likely not be very willing to give up her "timely" statement that Of Course she's more important than anything else :heartshape:

Seriously though, some people have found if they give their cat specific space, such as a cat tree right by the desk where they're working, or something similar, this can become a decent compromise that keeps the cat from stomping all over the keyboard and suchnot. Have the cat bed, or tree set up and then place her there when she arrives for her premealtime interruption :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s not quite that simple with her. For one thing, my computer desk is in a stairwell, so there’s simply no room a cat tree.

Secondly, Terra likes to be wherever I an. She’s often with mr at my computer, but only gets disruptive when mealtime is approaching.. This is her way of saying, “No, don’t look a the clock, I’m telling you it’s dinner time.”

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
leave a lil bit of dry food maybe otherwise hit pause or just bail out of the game if its an online fps type game(your stats wil take a hit though) and let your clan mates prior if your about to be in a clan battle or if its wetfood just have an extra plate ready to go if your fast you die only once and will be back by time you respawn again along with just learn to play around the cat walking front of the screen/across the keyboard

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With some of the meal times so close together, I doubt there has been much digestion and stomach space made. So I'm skeptical there is any real benefit to feeding at 6 and again at 8 am, as opposed to either a larger meal at 6, or just doing the second feeding whenever the dish gets emptied. Four meals a day is more for someone home all day that can really space them out. Also, nice to just accomodate a 20 year old when you can -- and I think you probably can, here.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure about her weight and health, but subject to that, at age 20, you might just consider a strategy of accomodation. If she finishes her food, put down more. Its an underrated strategy in general. Cats without food anxiety that know there will always be food if they are hungry dont always overeat. In fact, I currently have two that are both at ideal weight or underweight, and while I have general times that I shoot for, if they finish early or seem particular hungry one day, I move the times up. Of course, the strategy might result in some cats ballooning up, especially if you are feeding dry food or they have food issues, but I have neither begging nor overweight cats.
Wow 20 yrs old! I always miss details of posts I read. Good job thefishyone thefishyone taking care of her!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think at 20 I would just accept that's what she does. Maybe a handful of dry food or treats would help keep her distracted or have you tried placing a box next to you she might like to sleep near you in that if you don't have room for a cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Terra is 10, not 20. I wrote this on a toch device and fat fingerd the GDF 2 key… I actually got her current feeding scene from this forum several years back. Keep in mind as well, that she only get ~1/6 of a cup of food at each meal, for 2/3 of a cup each day.

My poison of choice is classic World of Warcraft. This game can’t be paused, but I could finishup if I’m in a group and take some time to play with her before mealtime (I’ve been meaning to play with her more, anyway).

I will try playing with her before mealtime and see if that helps. Thanks again for the suggestions.