How to toast silvered almonds?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a secret? It seems like I'll toast them and they either come out undercooked and not crunchy or burnt. I got a big bag of them at Costco and I want to know how I can toast them without throwing out half the bag.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how I do it:  preheat a cast iron (or other heavy) skillet on med-low heat. Don't put in too many almonds - single layer and you want to see some of the bottom of the pan. It takes about 2-3 minutes and you have to stay and watch them. Stir a few times but not constantly. Take out of the pan when you see a side (or two) are browned. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been trying to do them in the toaster oven!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You can do them in the oven, too. It's easy for me (and I'm lazy, so whatever is easiest is usually what I'll do!).

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread one pound of raw almonds out on to two 9 x 13-inch pans or one large jelly-roll pan. Bake 10-12 minutes or so, til they're to your liking. Cool for one hour before using. You can add salt to them, if desired. (You need to keep an eye on them; keep your oven light on, so you don't have to keep opening the oven door. (You could probably do them in your toaster oven, BUT you might be putting too many almonds on your tray at one time?)

I roast them this way when I make my almond brittle. I don't chop or sliver them until they're toasted.

When I want to toast pecans to make sugared pecans, I do it the way Swamp Witch suggests. You need to be careful, though; nuts will burn very easily if you're not watching them carefully!

Last edited: