How to tell the difference between playing and fighting?

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've been slowly introducing our new 10 week old kitten Jessie to our 14 week old kitten Luna. To start with there was a fair amount of hissing but no physical contact of any sort. A couple of days later and they seem to be playing, but I worry that it might actually be fighting. Luna still growls and hisses occasionally but she's been laying on her back and pawing at Jessie. Jessie just sits and looks at her as if she's crazy most of the time but does also chase her around and paw at Luna too. The thing that worries me is the hissing and growling. Luna has always been extremely vocal so I think it might just be her. Jessie only ever hisses when she's had enough of Luna. Luna doesn't seem to know when to stop and leave her alone. But then she's never known when to stop even when playing with us!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The biggest thing I notice when my two are playing is that there is no sound.  Occasionally when someone gets too rough there will be a yelp, but the play is usually silent.  There may be a hiss or two.  Also when they are done playing, my two will often groom each other or go their separate ways.  Cats that are fighting may avoid each other later.  Here are a few things I found:
  • When cats are playing, they may each hiss once or twice, but if your cats hiss several times, most likely they are fighting.
  • Cats who play with one another tend to take turns in the offensive and defensive postures. While engaged in fighting, there’s usually no role reversal.
  • No yowling or screaming should be present in play.
  • Cats should not get hurt during play, unless it’s by accident. Cats fighting may give or receive a bite or scratch wound.
  • When your cats are done playing they should act normal with each other, not avoid each other. After fighting, one or both of the cats will tend to stay out of each other’s way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dillydolly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm. They do both take it in turns to chase each other and they don't avoid each other at all. In fact, I had them both sat on my lap a minute ago.

I it possible that Luna is just extremely vocal with growling and hissing and meowing even when playing? Jessie is completely silent during it all unless Luna takes it a bit too far in which case she might hiss. I think they are both still getting used to playing with each other too.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I, personally, would say they are playing and not fighting. The clues would be, position of ears (forward or slightly back - playing, laid all the way back - fighting), also the sounds they make, a real fight will sound horrible. In a real fight, they move so fast you can barely keep up with what is happening.

Pardon me if I am hijacking your thread, but this video shows S&S play-fighting in the bathtub.

Last edited:

dohdeelicious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you for the videos.

Catspaw66: It made all the difference that your video had sound. It's that bit of a yelp one of your cats face that I've heard and caused me to wonder if they're ok. Also, hearing my guy's head band against the wall has worried me; not so much after hearing your two bang around in the tub.

Huge thanks!

dohdeelicious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't wait until I can edit! Words are typed correctly, look right and then change like evil magic... LOL

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks to both of you for the videos.

Catspaw66: It made all the difference that your video had sound. It's that bit of a yelp one of your cats face that I've heard and caused me to wonder if they're ok. Also, hearing my guy's head band against the wall has worried me; not so much after hearing your two bang around in the tub.

Huge thanks!
You are most welcome. You ought to hear them now. They don't wrestle as long, but it sounds like someone hitting a tub with a sledgehammer.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats ages 8 months to 8 years. I have cats running after each other all day long. The kitten is all about play. She doesn't know what a cat fight is yet. Everybody but one plays with the kitten. Here are all good signs of play: running, chasing, tumbling, rolling, grabbing, wrestling followed by licking, bite followed by licking, some charging and if your cats are vocal even some vocals. Bad signs or fighting: ears pinned down, tail swooshing, tail banging loud, nails expose, fur standing straight up to make them look bigger and finally blood curddling screams. Screams coming from the girth not the mouth are fight screams not play screams. If your cats are genuinely fighting be prepared for a vet visit. Keep all nails short, get kittens used to getting their nails cut first start by playing with their feet and toes then after a month start cutting their nails. I cut all 6 of my cats claws in less then 10 minutes because they know I'm playing not hurting them. Regards and good luck.