How To Tell If Your Cat Has Felv?

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rick, Morty, and Zelda were all tested for it soon after we got them. Once they were old enough we got them vaccinated against it because we plan to take them all on walks on harnesses once they get older. My only concern is, since I foster kittens on my own, what if one of those kittens has it and how would I know if my cats get it? The vaccine isn't 100% and we don't test the kittens because we don't intend on keeping them. We do get them their 1st vaccinations and give the new owners resources as to where they can get low cost and free vaccines as well as spays/neuters. I know the test they have for FELV/FIV will always be positive from the moment they get the vaccination so, how would I know if one of my cats gets it? I'd be devastated if it were to happen :/

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do your foster kittens come into contact with your cats? FeLV is spread through bodily fluids (so via grooming, shared litterboxes, waterbowls, toys), so if there's a way you can keep everything separate, I think you wouldn't need to worry.

The tricky thing with FeLV is that there's a wide variety of symptoms, and some cats can be asymptotic for years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do your foster kittens come into contact with your cats? FeLV is spread through bodily fluids (so via grooming, shared litterboxes, waterbowls, toys), so if there's a way you can keep everything separate, I think you wouldn't need to worry.

The tricky thing with FeLV is that there's a wide variety of symptoms, and some cats can be asymptotic for years.
There's absolutely no way to keep them separate and they share the water from the fountain.. and the litter boxes are fair game as well. The only thing I can keep separate between my cats and the foster cats are wet food.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the test they have for FELV/FIV will always be positive from the moment they get the vaccination
Only if they get the FIV vaccine. Getting the FeLV vaccine will not make them test positive.

Usually when you foster kittens, the agency requires that you keep them separated from your own cats. So there shouldn't be any risk of transmission. FeLV is only transmitted through deep bites or extended casual contact with bodily fluids and doesn't live long out of the cat's body, so if the kittens have their own room (and you don't share litterboxes or food dishes without washing them), everything should be fine.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only if they get the FIV vaccine. Getting the FeLV vaccine will not make them test positive.

Usually when you foster kittens, the agency requires that you keep them separated from your own cats. So there shouldn't be any risk of transmission. FeLV is only transmitted through deep bites or extended casual contact with bodily fluids and doesn't live long out of the cat's body, so if the kittens have their own room (and you don't share litterboxes or food dishes without washing them), everything should be fine.
Like I said, I foster kittens on my own (not for an agency). Does this mean I should just stop fostering and get all my cats tested again?? Maybe if I stop, 30 days after, i can just test 1 of them since they all share the things I said above.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you change to fostering through an agency that will help cover costs of the vaccines and tests for cats you foster?

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you change to fostering through an agency that will help cover costs of the vaccines and tests for cats you foster?
I still wouldn't be able to keep them separate from my kittens and also I go to free clinics for their vaccines so the cost of that it covered. I'm also sometimes able to get them fixed depending on when I get them because my school (vet tech) has lab days for spays/neuters which are free to the public. Unless I foster for an agency that allows the fosters to interact with my cats it can't be done. Also fostering for an agency is a lot harder than fostering on your own process wise. I believe they require you to have pet insurance which I just don't have the money for right now. If one of my cats got sick I would bring them to the vet of course and make sure they get the treatment they need, but I just can't afford to get insurance. Plus there's the whole house owning/renting paperwork. My living situation is a bit complicated and I don't have access to those papers. I'm living with my family but we all mind our own business. It's basically like I have an apartment attached to a house. And if I can't safely foster by myself, I'm not going to do it at all unfortunately. The well being of my cats comes first. When I move out and get my own place THEN maybe I can go back to fostering. But I guess for now this is the end of it after the last foster kitten finds a home.

Last edited: