How to tell if a kitten is underweight?

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lusa (about 7 or 8 weeks old) seems a little thin to me, but I haven't had a kitten in many, many years. Does anyone know a good way to test whether a kitten is underweight or normal?

Is it normal for them to get a bit lanky during growth spurts?

I give her a high quality kitten food twice a day, but she usually leaves some in her dish.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lankiness is quite normal. Oliver looked more like a giraffe with bat ears for awhile than a kitten!
To ensure that all is going well with kitty developmentally, make sure he/she has seen a vet and has all their shots taken care of. If you continue to be concerned, see your vet as they can give you some supplements.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by OllyExtra05

Lankiness is quite normal. Oliver looked more like a giraffe with bat ears for awhile than a kitten!
To ensure that all is going well with kitty developmentally, make sure he/she has seen a vet and has all their shots taken care of. If you continue to be concerned, see your vet as they can give you some supplements.
Kittens, like babies, lose weight when they have activity spurts. Are you also free-feeding dry kitten food? That plus fresh water available all day would help guarantee the best nutrition.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I'm feeding her 1/2 kibble 1/2 wet food twice a day. It's rare that she eats all the food that I leave down for her. I'm also adding in a gel l-lysine supplement to her food for her URI.

She just feels thin to me when I pet her, but I don't know her exact weight.

I called the vet's office this morning and they recommended giving her a small bowl of KMR in addition to her food. She's going in next Tuesday for her first shots assuming her immune system is healthy enough for it.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could pick up an inexpensive scale to weigh her on. By that age, I usually just feel their back bone, ribs, and hip bones. They can look really lean, but they should not feel "bony" on the back, ribs, and hip bones.

When she sees the vet, take a stool sample in to check for worms. A kitty with worms has difficulty holding weight.

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's been dewormed by the vet. (She's just now getting over the diarrhea from the dewormer). When I found her, she had a tummy full of roundworms and a URI. I think the stress of being ill has been hard on her. Her appetite has picked up in the last 2 days, thank goodness.

She's going to the vet tomorrow, so I'll get a weight.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you've been associating with full grown cats for a while, and then have a kitten in the house, it can be surprising how tiny and skinny they seem... you should be able to feel their ribs but not see them.

Your vet can tell you for sure though
Tell us how it turns out?

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lusa gained two ounces since her last visit. So she's up to 1 pound 4 ounces at about 8 weeks old. I was suprised that she hadn't gained more because she's certainly taller (lankier) than when I found her. The reason for the slow gain:she still has roundworms, even after a Revolution application and 2 dewormer treatements (vet-prescribed). I didn't know those little buggers could be so persistent. The vet didn't think it was going to stunt her growth, but he did agree that she's had a really rough start to life. He wormed her with another type (the same as in Heartguard) and gave us one to give her next week.

On a positive note, her appetite is really good and she was a wild child this evening