How to teach a kitten her name?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just had a conversation with my foster kittens forever mom. They have a wonderful loving home and are quite spoiled.  She mentioned that she thinks they (bonded pair) don't know their names.  They do come when she makes a "special noise" or calls,  but they don't know their individual names.  They are 7 and a half months old now and have always had the same names since shortly after they were trapped at 8 weeks.  Is it because they are always together?   And how do you teach each her individual name?     

I have  2 former ferals living in my home (now 2 and a half years old)  since they were 6 months old.   I named them at about 9 months and it seems to me that each does know her/his name.   But  they also respond to pet names (baby boy etc)  so now I wonder if they respond to the name or the tone of my voice.

I know that cats I have gotten individually did know and respond to their names, but what about bonded pairs?

Thoughts?  Ideas?

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the cats are always together and seem to respond to the tone rather than their name being called it may be helpful to separate them for a brief "training session" each day and spend some one-on-one time with them playing and calling them to bring the toy back, etc. Playing with my cats and calling them by name to bring their toy to me or saying their name and patting on the couch or bed to get them to jump up was the way that they seemed to learn their names and it also taught them to respond to being called. They don't always respond to this, but most of the time they do. My cat Treasure took  a while to learn her name simply because my boyfriend would often call her to come to him by saying "here kitty kitty" instead of her name and she learned to respond to that and began getting confused. Now she knows her name and perks up every time I say "Treasure". When I introduced Pumpkin to her they were very close in age and almost inseparable and I would rarely get one to come without the other. Now they respond to their names separately and clearly know who is who. I think this can be achieved with most cats, it just takes time.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys that I've had since they were 8 weeks old (and will be 7 months next Sunday) don't seem to really know their names either. Oscar sometimes turns his head when I call his name - sometimes. So not sure if it's because he recognizes it, or because he's just hearing my voice.

Oliver on the other hand is like trying to talk to a brick wall when calling his name. I honestly can't remember how long it took all my cats to learn their names. I know some seem to know it more than others, even their whole lives.