How To Switch From Clumping Litter To Pellet

Lindaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I decided to stop using the clumping litter which makes my home like beach. Do you guys have step-by-step direction for the transforming?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Rather than try to mix litters and change over gradually, I switch one litter box at a time. Keep the old litter in all but one box. Put the new litter in that box and wait a week before changing out the next box.

If you've only got one litter box, add a second one with the new litter. Once kitty starts using the new litter you can take the old stuff away.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up that in my experience, a lot of the wood pellet litters track just as much as fine grained clumping litter. They’re usually really dusty and so even though you won’t get as many pieces of the actual litter you will likely get lots of litter dust on your cat’s paws and tracked everywhere. Clumping litter also is a lot better for monitoring the size of pee clumps for health issues.

Just things to consider before switching!

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two boys were still kittens when I switched to pine pellets. I just dumped the old litter and started using all pellets. At first they would step very softly when in the box a sensory issue I’m sure. But they did use it . They seemed confused when it came to covering up their poo. However within 2 weeks they had figured it out. We never had any accidents outside the litter box. I did purchase the All Pine Litter Box after those first 2 weeks. It works like a sifting box but is made for pine pellets and works great! The pellets turn to sawdust when peed on and drops to the bottom box. I dump this in my landscaping beds outside and it even looks good. Had a neighbor ask me what mulch I was using haha. Because of how the litter box is designed I have no issues with dust at all. I am still amazed at how little I spend on litter from Tractor Supply and odor is no longer a problem ( just scoop the poop). I think GoldyCats method of adding an additional box with pellets next to a box of your normal litter is also a great way to introduce the change. IMO since the consistency of the pellets is so different trying to mix it with clay litter would make the kitty’s want to pick out that strange stuff haha Anyway what ever method gets you there it is well worth the effort! Good luck let us know how it goes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindaaa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys. I have put an extra box with pellets for her :-)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up that in my experience, a lot of the wood pellet litters track just as much as fine grained clumping litter. They’re usually really dusty and so even though you won’t get as many pieces of the actual litter you will likely get lots of litter dust on your cat’s paws and tracked everywhere. Clumping litter also is a lot better for monitoring the size of pee clumps for health issues.

Just things to consider before switching!
Didn't you use the sifting box?

I just recently switched mine but I did it gradually, little at a time. Adding in a little more of the pellets every time I cleaned. By the time I was at full pellets, they didn't even care.