How To Store Leftover Wet Food

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My last cat struggled with getting enough moisture in her diet as she only ate dry food, so when I adopted my new cat, I was determined to give him at least SOME wet food every day.

The problem is that for 7 of the 8 days we've been doing this, he has been sick and not really interested in finishing the entire can. We have one of those plastic lids that you can put over the cans, but I'm not entirely sure how to go about storing it so that it doesn't go bad. Canned food is too darned expensive to go wasting like that (not to mention the chance of him potentially getting sick - well, sickER)

Can I just put the lid on it and leave it up on a shelf in my room (where he's currently being housed)? Should I be putting the lid on it and then putting it in the refridgerator?

All advice is appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should add that he never gets the entire can at once - more split into at least two different meals per day.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I use the plastic lids - Mowgli gets half a can in the morning and again in the evening - and refrigerate the can. The contents are zapped in the microwave for a few seconds and stirred, or I add warm water to get the food back up to room temperature for his evening meal.

If for some reason a whole can isn't going to be served over the course of one day, the food goes in a small Tupperware container and is refrigerated.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put a plastic lid on and store in the fridge. The food will keep for a few days. For longer storage, transfer the food into another container and put into the freezer.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put a plastic lid on the can and store it in the fridge. When it's time for the next meal, I sit the can (with the lid still on it) in a small dish of hot tap water for a few minutes to take the chill off.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Everyone above have pretty much covered all the good suggestions there are. But, if your cat - once he gets well (I hope very soon), isn't inclined to eat much of the canned at one time, you can split the contents of one can into multiple amounts, place each amount in a dish, cover it with plastic, place in the refrigerator and bring one out at a time to eat. And, of course, warm it if needed.

So far, I have found that I can only get Feeby to eat - at best - 1/3 of can within a 2-3 hour span, which includes some serious prodding/coddling toward the end. So, I split the can into 3 parts, as described above. She is free grazer, eating dry during the day, at a rate of 5 or so morsels at any one time. So, she only gets canned at dinner time. And, she doesn't even care if it is warmed up (she eats it at the same speed warm or cold)!!

Let us know if his health is improving.

Mow Mow -^-^-

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely refrigerate. I just put open can in sealed ziploc baggie, and at next mealtime scoop onto plate which I warm in the microwave.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We cover the open can with a square of plastic wrap held on with a rubber band and put in the fridge. Later we heat a couple of spoonfuls for 5 seconds in a clean Correlle small bowl (while Gypsy licks the spoon clean) After she eats most of it she gets two Temptations treats crumpled on top. I started doing the crumbled treats during the hot weather so she would not let the wet go bad. She doesn't overeat so we free feed Purina One Hairball formula.