How to stop scratching at door

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is rather needy and always wakes up way earlier than I would like to. When he wakes up and I don't play with him, he starts jumping on things he shouldn't, knocking things down, etc so I put him out of my bedroom to try to get an hour or so of sleep. However within 5-10 minutes he begins scratching the door frame and has already cut grooves into it. I rent, so this is obviously a problem. I can't install any deterrent that requires drilling holes due to my rental rules, and even though he has food/water/toys/scratchers/access to a window for looking outside he still insists on trying to get in. I'm really at a loss. I feel like anti scratching tape would peel off the paint from the wood which would be even more unsightly, and I can't seem to find a removable deterrent that would protect the entire door (I feel like if I get a partial cover he would just start scratching the part that isn't covered) HELP :(

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure he isn't hungry by adjusting his feedings if necessary. You can tell us what and when you feed for suggestions.

I'd lock him out for the entire night and ignore door scratching, which should fade within a few days to a few weeks depending on yoru luck.

Your typical interior door isn't very costly in the scheme of things, like 40-100 dollars depending on the type, and you might already be on the hook for one, so there is that. Of course, painting it to match the other doors could be an issue as well, so it does make sense to avoid the issue if it isn't too late. There are things you could put on the door, but whether that would speed or slow the adjustment, or rip more off your door when removed, I dont know. Hopefully some others with experience iwth those products will chime in.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave out a bowl of good quality dry food before you go to bed, it will help him not want to get you up. Cats are VERY determined little creatures, also creatures of habit. Hopefully eventually, if you get up at the same time every morning and don't vary, he would get used to your schedule. I know mine did. Get up at the same time though, don't sleep in, try to go to bed a little earlier. Lay down a square of clear carpet runner in front of the door if you want to keep him out before you go to bed. Put it 'nub' side up, it hurts his feet to walk on it. Make sure it is big enough to not allow him to reach the door. The problem is it won't stop him from yelling at you to get up, but it would save the door. Remember it is there or YOU will hurt bare feet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey yall, just read through your responses. He always has dry food available and he receives his serving of wet food before bed.

At the moment he sleeps in the bedroom and has for many months because when he was younger the scratching and screaming routine was unbearable. I mean it was literally all night and despite ignoring it for about two months straight and my performance at work suffering from lack of sleep, it never improved. He's truly stubborn and needy. I think it's related to him being abandoned by his previous family (he's a rescue kitty) Right now all I'm asking for is maybe an hour or two of sleep in the morning undisturbed so I can get up maybe at 5 or 6 instead of 4 like he wants :touched:

I may very well try the carpet runner idea, I'm curious as to whether that'll be enough but who knows...

Also yeah I might already have to accept that the door will have to be replaced when I move. However, aside from the monetary aspect, his continual scratching noises prevents me from sleeping so the whole purpose of him being outside is defeated. (My bed is literally right next to the door, it's a small apartment..)

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also to clarify his food bowl is automatic but pretty much always full, and it is located outside of the bedroom so me keeping him out of the bedroom does not prevent him from accessing his food or his water, all his toys, all his scratchers, his cat tree, and the only window he can use to look outside. By all accounts it should be more interesting to him to be out of my room, but he specifically wants to be with ME and have my attention.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To clarify it is a clear plastic carpet protector/runner. With the nubs on the back to hold it in place. use it upside down, nub side up. It was the ONLY thing that stopped a determined stressed cat from repeatedly spraying in a particular corner of the house.
I feel for you, I have had plenty of determined, hard-headed cats in my life, so I know how frustrating it can be. Knowing your cat, I hope he just doesn't sit right at the edge of the plastic and yowl!!!

Andimms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To clarify it is a clear plastic carpet protector/runner. With the nubs on the back to hold it in place. use it upside down, nub side up. It was the ONLY thing that stopped a determined stressed cat from repeatedly spraying in a particular corner of the house.
I feel for you, I have had plenty of determined, hard-headed cats in my life, so I know how frustrating it can be. Knowing your cat, I hope he just doesn't sit right at the edge of the plastic and yowl!!!
Yep I know the type you're talking about! And ha, I hope not. He hasn't screamed since he was about 8 months old, he just moved on to full time scratching lol. I hope he doesn't regress hahahaha

rodger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
im oetting that jazz from my spoiled little girl i finally lost my cool and hucked my bottle of melatonin [ plastic bottle ] at her and it suprised her and scared her but about the time i started to get to sleep she starts yowling. as soon as i grabbed the bottle and it rattled and she saw my hand raise she shut up and went under the bed to her bed and i got some sleep. i was thinking i may have to stuff her in her carrier at night but hate that idea. its a weird control thing. she just wants me to get up and play with her at 3 am and or let her out to become coyote bait. i normaly let her out at 8am and shes good about coming in after a couple hrs and stays in for the rest of the day/night, shes been attacked so many times i have to keep her in or be out with her. now i went and picked her up because she wouldnt come in and when we got close to the bedroom dor she started hissing at me and bit me. she may be going byby