How To Stop Neighbourhood Cat Bulling My New Cat

Sir Alvin's mum

I'm a three year old silver tabby guy
Kitten
Purraise
Hi fellow cat lovers!

I love this site! Myself and my partner adopted a rescue cat about a month ago and we'd love some advice... Alvin is absolutely lovely - affectionate, playful and adorable. His back story is he was picked up by a local pound as an intact adult male. They estimate his age to be about three. He was going to be euthanized but a private charity took him in, de-sexed him and so on. We adopted him from the charity who said he probably had some people feeding him but not really looking after him as he wasn't microchipped and had a huge abscess from fighting and so on.

He has settled in well with us as an indoor only cat. We live in a townhouse so we don't have a garden but do have a balcony. But after the first 10 days with no accidents, he has started peeing / spraying near the front door and inside the garage (which he has indoor access to).

I think this is peeing is possibly related to anxiety about other cats in the neighbourhood. I think our house is in contested cat territory. Last night we woke up to a cat screaming directly outside of our garage - poor Alvin was on the bed and very upset (back arched, tail fluffy, growling). We chased the cat away and settled him but this morning I checked and I could tell a Tom cat has sprayed the outside of our garage door and the wall of our house.

Every time he pees outside the litter box, we scrub throughly and use special cat pee removal products and then spray feliway around the area. We’ve also given him an extra litter box in the garage, where he tends to go. We’ve also got two feliway plug ins.

Is there anything we can do to make him feel less anxious and keep the neighbourhood Tom cat from spraying our house? I think he is feeling bullied and I worry he won’t stop peeing near doors and entrances. I would love it if we could stop the local tom cats spraying on and around our house and then he could settle down. Any ideas on making him feel less anxious and getting the local alley cats to bugger off?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sir Alvin's mum

I'm a three year old silver tabby guy
Kitten
Purraise
I meant "bullying" - don't know how to edit the title - sorry.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think chasing the problem cat works - in my experience, they come right back, and it just makes you look silly. Using water doesn't help, as you'll only soak the cat once or so...then they will just retreat faster and watch from a distance until you go back in the house. People talk about options in some other threads. I think someone mentioned some small automatic sprinklers you can buy.

You might be better off trying fellaway spray or other calming products for your cats. It would certainly be cheaper.