How to stop my cat murdering birds

jimbo179

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi l have two cats, recently they have started killing some lovely birds in my garden, apart from keeping them indoors all the time how can l stop them,
l thought about putting on collars with bells but l am worried they might get the collar caught on a tree branch or something and get trapped somwhere l am not able to rescue them, collars have a safety release but does it work all the time, are collars safe for cats

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Collars with bells is ok but it seems that your cats have free rein outdoors so you could be right - they may be caught onto something and hurt themselves in the process.

It would be best if they are just confined in an outdoor catio if you have the means and resources.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keeping them indoors is the easiest way to protect the birds. It also keeps the cats safe from cars, predators and nasty humans. An enclosed catio is a great option if you can do that. You can also consider getting them harnesses and leashes and after they are comfortable with that, they can be taken on supervised walks. Another option is an enclosed playpen. They make them in different sizes and you can set it up in your garden. They can enjoy being outside safely. I have one of these for my cats that I bring with us when we travel.

These are some examples

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IS5TPVI/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5YZXZZ7/?tag=thecatsite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is no way that I know of to stop them, other than the three suggestions already given. You have to remember, a cat is an apex predator in its weight class (although that weight is small), and they are following their instincts. The best answer, if it is possible in your situation, a catio. That will give your cats time outside in the fresh air, the opportunity to smell those entrancing smells, and to even hunt small bugs that wander in, all while keeping the birds safe.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A "break away" collar with a bell should be safe enough. However, the problem is that the break away function actually works. What are you going to do, buy a 10 pack? So not practical imho.

We have mocked some other products that are basially some variant of the cat wearing an inflateable pillow to slow it down, make it more clumsy or whatnot. These products most likely increase the risk from other cats and predators, could lead to the cat getting stuck with disasterous consequences, and are just generally all kinds of bad idea.

So yeah, as everyone else already said, acknowledge and accept that you are feeding a murder hobo, keep the cat inside, or build a catio. When I had indoor/outdoor cats, I went with option one, and acknowledged that they were my little murders. Those women that marry serial killers behind bars are nuts I'm pretty sure, but nonetheless, I acknowledge that people that live in glass houses with their own litle serial killers shouldn't throw stones.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Cats are ambush hunters. A good way to cut down on the amount of birds they catch is to get rid of the ambush spots. Keep your grass trimmed, prune any bushes or hedges so there is a clear space around the base. If you have any clumps of ornamental grass or bamboo put some netting around it so the cats can't use it to hide in.

A catio is a great idea, but if you choose to put cat proof fencing around your garden instead you'll still need to make sure it isn't that easy for the cats to get birds.