How to stop my cat from being so anxious

ypgurt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we took in a few year old cat around 6 months ago but i still havent managed to pet or get close to her. Shes generally following me around the house but when i try to go closer than like 2 metres she just runs away, just sitting in the kitchen entrance when i cook or sitting at the doorway when im on my computer... doing slow blinks or just staring at me. I can feed her off my hand but she just rips the food off and goes to eat further away or when i drop the food in front of me then she just pulls it closer with her paw and goes off to eat somewhere else anyway. playing with a stick toy is also possible but if i reach my hand closer she just bolts away. She also has some pills that should make her less nervous but im not sure if they are doing anything or not. Anyway the question is how do i pet my cat and stop her from being so afraid all the time? Maybe im doing something wrong or im missing a neat trick, could use some suggestions.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Depending on her history, it could easily take longer than 6 months to earn her complete trust. It sounds like you're doing good, she's playing, taking treats, and watching you. I'd say just take it slow and give it more time. She's the one who has to be comfortable with it and it's not something you can force.
I'm sure other members will be along with some tips, but just keep doing what you're doing.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try some of the tips here:

Some cats just don't care much for people and want to be left alone. That's just their personality. Maybe there was some negative experience with people in the cat's history. My friend has one such cat. She adopted two cats who are supposedly siblings a couple of years ago. One cat is a love bug. The other cat is hardly ever seen and is super skittish being around people and will not let anyone get too close to her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree with all of the above. But, I wanted to ask a question about what type of med she is on to try to help her be less nervous - and when/why she was put on it. Oddly enough but true, some side effects from a med can the exact same things as what the med is trying to curtail. The meds could be affecting her behavior, but not in a positive way. Maybe consider lowering the dose to see if that makes things better (or worse)? Just throwing it out there for your consideration.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My.cat will snatch food from my hand then runaway. I thought it was because she didn't want anyone else to get it. I have 2 other cats. She has a preference when to be touched and how long

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She also has some pills that should make her less nervous but im not sure if they are doing anything or not.
How is she getting the pills? If you are holding her to get the pill in her, that might be making her more scared.

I have one of those cats that's not crazy about people. He's 14yr, we've had him since he was 7mts, born in a foster home, and I was socialized. It wasn't until he as 7 or 8 that he'd play with a wand toy. He loves petting, purrs up a storm occasionally and then realizes what's happening and runs away.

Your girl is already interested in you. Be patient and don't try to pet her. Let her lead the way. Get a telescoping back scratcher (most drugstores have them), extend it out and let her come to rub on it.

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 1/2 year old cat like this. I hate it because she's such a little fluff ball I want to cuddle her.
Unfortunately that only makes it worse because I have to detangle her when I am lucky enough to hold her. She loves treats so bribery sometimes works.
I am hoping she will chill out with age but I love her no matter what.