How To Stop Litterbox Pouncing?

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two cats, LK (4 yrs) and Ruby (3 or 4 months), are getting along pretty well so far thanks to your help with intros. They spend nights and long stretches of time separated, but are otherwise together in the house. There is plenty of play-fighting, but it rarely escalates; they also groom each other and just sit quietly and rest.

However, the kitten, Ruby, is becoming more annoying as time goes by. We are trying to redirect her with toys to keep her from nipping us in play, or from instigating LK too much. I'm also attempting to teach her some manners involving the kitchen table, cupboards, etc. She doesn't seem to be a very quick study. The really big problem I'm having is that she keeps pouncing on LK when LK is trying to go into the litterbox! She's not staking the litterbox out, but when she sees LK go over there, she bounces after her and jumps on her back as LK tries to creep into the box.

This all happens very fast so I can't do my normal thing of removing her quickly and saying "no no!". LK is understandably cross about this develpment, but not clever enough to figure out how to sneakily go to a different box or something (we do have enough litterboxes). Please help, this is so tedious. Especially since my husband seems alergic to Ruby and she's kind of on probation around here...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It will cost some dollars but you can make a private litterbox for LK by buying a GPS cat door and fixing it to a large covered plastic tub. You then put a litterbox in the tub and the GPS collar on LK so that the only one that can go through the door to the box is her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like that idea! My punk Dante is an annoying sniffer while Salem uses the litter box. The only thing I have found to help is to redirect him when I see Salem is in the litter box &/or removing the lid off of the litter box so Salem feels more secure using it. Salem now pees only sitting halfway in their small litter box if I put the top part back on.