How To Stop Diarrhea Quick

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
~ The only thing I can think of is lack of fiber that the corn ingredients in most dry cat food contain ...?

That makes sense.. thanks. My new vet was also telling me that he believes heart problems could be caused by grain free cat foods. Something to do with certain nutrients (especially taurine) that isn't being properly absorbed into their systems. He told me to Google heart problems/ grain free cat food.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
My new vet was also telling me that he believes heart problems could be caused by grain free cat foods.
~ Yes I am also hearing the same. Sadly I have discovered that the cost of "grain free" production is not that much different than standard corn /millet variety - only that less is produced and sold. I have always been suspicious of the exorbitant price ! Adding meat/poultry does cost more and many dry foods contain it as first ingredients.
Here is what I have used without digestive incidents :
51ptK1PFtlL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been treating Merlin for runs for 2 months or more now. Nothing has helped much except Flagyl reduced the frequency of the movements. However giving him s boulardi and psyllium gave him explosive diarrhea and an enlarged, hard stomach. Tried everything else listed here nothing has helped very much. He is on Tylosin and prednisilone now. Most recent doc who did an ultrasound thinks it is maybe still a parasite which is hard to test for tritrichomonas but not t feoutus which was tested for, and she is recommending ronidazole for that and maybe a herbal treatment if it is inflammatory bowel.

I find the idea/ theory of grain free food causing heart disease to be not believable. You can always have your cat tested for taurine levels if you’re worried they’re not absorbing it.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. My cat has been on grain free wet cat food and was doing great on it until two months ago. I've been giving her the same food mixed with cat enzymes that has acidophilus in it which has made her like a kitten, firmed her stools and increased her appetite. But now, she's acting like she's got an UTi, although the vet says her urine looks perfect (no crystals/stones, signs of blockage etc)
Can you tell me why a grain free diet would cause diarrhea?
Thanks🌺
Any change of diet could cause diarrhea although to be honest with you most if my kitties have been able to switch diets without ever having any problems at all. I don’t think grain free ( which is obviously not the natural diet for a cat ) per se is going to cause diarrhea but a lot of cats are used to being on a high grain, high carbohydrate diet and the grain acts as a bulk so when they lose that that could contribute to diarrhea. Unfortunately grains can cause a lot of problems in many cats and many people to her they are not easily digested by a lot of people. And a lot of people and cats have immune and allergic responses to them.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
~ Yes I am also hearing the same. Sadly I have discovered that the cost of "grain free" production is not that much different than standard corn /millet variety - only that less is produced and sold. I have always been suspicious of the exorbitant price ! Adding meat/poultry does cost more and many dry foods contain it as first ingredients.
Here is what I have used without digestive incidents :
View attachment 310552
Thank you! I will look into this for her. Have a nice day.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's not getting any dairy products is she? Milk, cheese, ice cream, etc. can cause instant diarrhea. Most cats are lactose intolerant once they reach adulthood.

javi3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any change of diet could cause diarrhea although to be honest with you most if my kitties have been able to switch diets without ever having any problems at all. I don’t think grain free ( which is obviously not the natural diet for a cat ) per se is going to cause diarrhea but a lot of cats are used to being on a high grain, high carbohydrate diet and the grain acts as a bulk so when they lose that that could contribute to diarrhea. Unfortunately grains can cause a lot of problems in many cats and many people to her they are not easily digested by a lot of people. And a lot of people and cats have immune and allergic responses to them.
Thanks. I didn't change her food, and I'd been giving her the powder for 2 months which seriously improved her stools. My vet thinks it's possible Java's IBS could be from me feeding the chicken protein exclusively for so long.

I did start adding a little more of the enzyme powder than directions said too, since that made her poops perfect. It's possible the powder was absorbing too much of the moisture in the wet cat food and that (plus some extra stress) could've started the FIC/extra trips to the litter to urinate.

You might want to try the powder Java's on for your kitties diarrhea. It's called Dr. Goodpet's cat enzymes (with acidophilus..green/white bottle). Certain probiotics would cause Java to throw up, but this doesn't at all which surprised me. It seriously improves her stools/appetite/energy.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is giving it the same day you give the other medications, since enzymes improve the availability of nutrients AND meds! I use to take pancreatic enzymes for myself and they worked great. But once I started taking medication with them, I felt really strange and chose to stop taking both. So you or your pet really shouldn't take them at the same time (even same day) with meds.
And I'd start with a tiny bit of the reccommed dosage of enzyme powder and gradually increase.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I didn't change her food, and I'd been giving her the powder for 2 months which seriously improved her stools. My vet thinks it's possible Java's IBS could be from me feeding the chicken protein exclusively for so long.

I did start adding a little more of the enzyme powder than directions said too, since that made her poops perfect. It's possible the powder was absorbing too much of the moisture in the wet cat food and that (plus some extra stress) could've started the FIC/extra trips to the litter to urinate.

You might want to try the powder Java's on for your kitties diarrhea. It's called Dr. Goodpet's cat enzymes (with acidophilus..green/white bottle). Certain probiotics would cause Java to throw up, but this doesn't at all which surprised me. It seriously improves her stools/appetite/energy.

The only thing I'd be cautious of is giving it the same day you give the other medications, since enzymes improve the availability of nutrients AND meds! I use to take pancreatic enzymes for myself and they worked great. But once I started taking medication with them, I felt really strange and chose to stop taking both. So you or your pet really shouldn't take them at the same time (even same day) with meds.
And I'd start with a tiny bit of the reccommed dosage of enzyme powder and gradually increase.
That is good that powder helped her. I am scared to try anything like that now because Merlin had explosive runs after taking psyllium and s. Boulardi. I will read about that powder though. So I am only giving him the meds now and his food which is chicken, chicken liver and some pumpkin. Still waiting to hear from reg dvm, called again today and still no call back. My former dvm was much better, better at diagnosis and better at calling etc. I am th8nking eventually I need to find another cat only dvm.