how to stop cats from biting?

bayareakitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I have two female one year olds-just adopted them recently.  They are doing great and get along, thank goodness.  But the more recently adopted one is a biter and uses her claws too much with me.  How does one re-direct this?  It's only when she is wound up, if she is sleepy she is wonderfully affectionate.  I suppose it could be just left over kitten behavior?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somewhere, she's learned inappropriate behavior. Maybe she was taken from mom too soon and didn't get proper etiquette lessons.

In any case, you can teach her like mom would have. When she bites or claws, hiss loudly at her and then say "no" sharply. Withdraw yourself from any play for a time. She will get the message soon enough that this is not acceptable.

Thank you for adopting her!

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great job in adopting a young cat, despite the "kitten season" lure this time of year! 

For a young kitty like yours, the best thing you can do is:

-Never play with her using hands! If you don't, that's already a good start! Play time should involve interactive toys like lasers or da bird/fishing pole toys.

-Beware when petting her, can often leading to overstimulating her and thus lead to clawing/biting.

-During kitty's sleepy moments, see if she will allow you to touch/press her paws. Once comfortable with you touching her paws, try trimming her nails during sleepy moments/nap time.

-If you can't trim her nails after numerous attempts, you can take her to the groomers for a nail trim and have them apply "soft paws".

-If your kitty attacks ankles/feet, distraction with toys as mentioned above for at least 20 minutes straight until she is absolutely worn out, panting, and lying on her side.

-If she still insists on attacking/biting your hands/feet/etc, what Ondine has suggested can also work, given you do it repeatedly and consistently. No affection for a while during this time or you'll send mixed signals.

Good luck, let us know what helped you the most!