How to stop cat scratching to get in cupboards??

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My cat is picking away at the carpet by two closed cupboards, trying to get in. I've blocked it up with boxes for now but it can't stay that way, any advice please?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is she trying to get to? If it's food, she may be hungry, and adding some low-calorie treats, like shaved turkey, may help. If she just wants in there you might let her for a bit, to show there is nothing to hide. Or make her up a hidey place like one of the boxes. Cats are stubborn and the trick is to distract them from what they want until eventually, they move on to something else. Every time we get a new chair they want to lay on it so I have to cover it. A couple of weeks later they move on to somewhere else. you might get something to discourage your cat from scratching, like clear carpet runner with those little nubs in the back. Turn it nub side up and the cat will stay away, It hurts their feet to walk on it. I have used it in the past to keep cats off of, or away from something and it works. After they get used to being away, remove it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's just an airing cupboard with a hot water tank and towels and a clothing/ sports equipment cupboard! He likes hide aways but has a kitty fort nearby that he adores

Last edited:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
can you cover the underside/bottom part of the drawer with sticky tape? You may need to keep it on there for a little while, but he should learn fairly quickly that the texture there is highly unpleasant to deal with :>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Not Jackson Galaxy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, i'll try sticky tape. It's warm here generally so i'd be surprised if he's after warmth honestly.