How To Stop A Cat Permanetly From Stealing Food.

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dear little Opi is no longer being so well behaved sigh. He's stolen bread,one whole fish my favorite fish, a good junk of beef and my favorite cheese! I was so angry about the fish that I had to go to next room to cool down. I can't have him stealing our dinner. My hubby is very protective over me (in a sweet good way) and were trying to have a baby so he's worried about us getting stuff like halo-bacterium, salmonella and other things if I don't catch him in time and we eat something he ate from without knowing it and get that. He has a right to be concerned but I don't really know if little Opi could give us that. He loves Opi a lot but he wants a baby more so I have keep Opi behaved or I most likely will have to give him away to another good home. I don't want to ever do that and I know this problem can be fixed permanently. I thought perhaps i wasn't feeding him enough he has gotten really big so I fed him a lot right before lunch and he seemed fine. so i stupidly decided to put out lunch on the table and walk away. I watched it poked my head out from the kitchen and looked at the table to make sure he wasn't trying to get it just in case. There was a chair however blocking one part of my view. After I was done doing whatever I was doing I came to table to see that good junk of beef gone with nothing but the veggies and pasta left. I was shocked and then heard chewing I go and look in a the blind spot from where I was in the kitchen and see that this smart little brat had grabbed the meat without getting on the table and distinctly went behind the chair so I wouldn't see him. I was furious with him and he knew it to. He had realized he was caught red handed pinned back his ears and went to run for it. I caught him gently and calmly put him in a room where his bed is water and food and just shut the door to just let him think for a bit while I fixed something else for lunch. I had to tell the hubby to he wasn't angry just worried and a bit sad that the cat was the only one who ate good tasty big meal that day. We both agreed we need to stop this behavior. I know it can be stopped but only if I do it right. I did some research and realized that Opi will try to sneak food even when he's full just to have the thrill of the hunt. I shouldn't leave anything around and that he could possibly ingest and trust him to never eat it even if it's something you never think a cat would eat. I should never let him be around us when were eating. Never ever give in to his begging at all. I should always keep him well fed (No problemo already got that covered). I also need to make sure I play with him a lot to get rid of that need to be sneaky and hunt things he shouldn't. Is there anything I'm missing? Is there any advice you guys can give me? Is there a natural cat repellent I can use just to keep him away from places I don't want him near? Also please keep in mind I live in the Arabian Peninsula so commercial products are next to impossible to get so please recommend natural things thank you in advance.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wish I could offer a solution. My two are both thieves. They get into cereal and snacks. They get into the cupboard where the cat food is. They get into the broom closet to dine on the trash. Their favorite is the butter dish. They had been in home situations before I adopted both of them and were both beggars. I can't enjoy a meal in peace around them.

The only solution I've found is to make sure I bring everything to the table before starting, making sure there's a cover over the food (and that won't work long because they're both good at getting covers off). If my meal is interrupted, I have to pick up everything during the interruption. I just have to keep shooing them away during my meal.

I've tried feeding them at my mealtime, but they stop eating to beg or steal my food, then run back and hoover down theirs afterward. Perhaps the best solution might be to lock them in another room, but they cry and make such a fuss, I usually don't do that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest way to stop your cat is to shut him in a different room while you are preparing or eating your meal and to make sure everything is put away before he has access. If he never finds food on countertops or sinks he will lose interest in them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:

Other suggestions: Keep the counters clear of food and wiped clean, keep the trash can in a cabinet or basement or garage or outside (if possible), use a trash can with a secure locking lid (Simple Human makes one), put child safety locks on the cabinets and drawers to keep the cats from looking in there for food, keep the sink and drain clean (food residue may attract cats).

Don't forget to discipline with a firm NO :nono:

Have you tried those puzzle balls or feeders that you can fill up with dry food or healthy treats like freeze dried treats and a cat has to figure out how to get the food to come out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply internet company is having issues so I couldn't get this site to check my alerts. I now put Opi with Ophelia in a seprate room while were eating and afterwards i clean everything away. I don't leave anything edible unattended. He has sense whined to me but has now misbehaved since. I guess it's just that matter of not leaving bait cause that little piglet has no self control when it comes to food lol XD. I will make puzzle feeders for both of them however do any of you guys have recipes for cat treats? In my country they always cost a fortune for one tiny pakage. LTS3 LTS3 do you know any by chance?