How to set up a cat shelter or cat rescue service?

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure whether this is the right place to post this.
In my area, there are only a few shelters and non-profit services that are specifically designed for cats.
I am thinking to open one, maybe in a couple of years (depending on available time).

I will be very grateful if forum mates will be so kind to either share their valuable experience on setting up shelters/services for cats or direct me towards websites exposing such experiences (English, French, Spanish).

Thank you very much!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
First thing I would suggest you do is check the laws in your country concerning shelters, NPO's, converting a property into a shelter, number of animal you are allowed to keep in one premises (This may differ from city to city and from urban to rural areas)

Volunteering at a shelter will give you some idea about the amount of work involved. The staff there would be able to give you some advice about how to go about doing it.

It's a wonderful dream, but it's probably going to be heart breaking and overwhelming at times. In my experience the most important thing to do is know your own limits. Imagine that every animal you take in is going to be with your for the rest of their life (Even if you plan to try and rehome whenever possible) Calculate how much food, time and space you are going to need to give to that one, then times that by 10 to 15 years depending on how old they are.

It's better to give a good live to five than it is to try and take on 20 and end up burning out.