How to satisfy the play needs of an insatiable kitty?

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lux is a nervous cat, for sure. While this is negative and impacts him in this way, it also comes out positively in his voracious appetite for playtime. He's still such a kitten in so many ways, and this is definitely one of them. I've played with him for an hour straight before and he was still interested. Now I keep sessions to half an hour because I have other stuff to do, of course. I'm getting a kitten in a couple of months, but until then, how can I satisfy his insatiable need for playtime without doing it all day?

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you find any interactive toys for him to play with while you're gone or not wanting to play? Those may tire him out. I would keep doing the play sessions though, maybe with a wand like Da Bird, and really get into it to tire him out. Keep playing until he starts panting.

Also, if he's nervous, maybe try Feliway. It's a plug-in diffuser that has cat pheromones that calm nervous cats.

Last edited:

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Can you find any interactive toys for him to play with while you're gone or not wanting to play? Those may tire him out. I would keep doing the play sessions though, maybe with a wand like Da Bird, and really get into it to tire him out. Keep playing until he starts panting.

Also, if he's nervous, maybe try Feliway. It's a plug-in diffuser that has cat pheromones that calm nervous cats.
I agree - play until he is panting. My guy was insatiable too (even though he is a Ragdoll) when a kitten. In the end I just did the best I could and reminded myself that he had a home, food and loving companion. Due to my health, I couldn't do any longer than 20 minutes at a time (although twice I played for nearly an hour with Da Bird - having him flying around the room after it, LOL).

My only suggestion you've got already have covered!!!! A companion to play with. That is what worked for me! Finding a similarly energetic kitten close to his age. Problem solved! I had him 4 months before capitulating, ha! Everyone said just hang tight, he will eventually calm down. They were right, of course, but I couldn't keep up with him for a full 10 months.

As for interactive toys... sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. He wanted to play with ME more than the toy, ha! Here is what made me decide to get another kitten... I would look at him before going to work and realize that, as an indoor cat (and me being single), I was his entire universe! This is a great responsibility - being his everything! So I felt it would be of great benefit for his universe to be expanding by another living being, one of his own kind. And for that, another cat was grateful. 

If you can tough it out, most likely he will mellow. But keep in mind, you are his entire world (his alpha and omega, if I dare say). May that help to guide your choices.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@molldee: I do have Da Bird, the only thing is that it's hard for me to get him really active and running around. After a while he tends to sit still and try to pounce on it - if he doesn't get it, he walks away and tries again. Not much activity there. I get a few jumps out of him here and there (especially with catnip) but he doesn't move heavily. The other thing I try with him is I throw his kibble (from his portion) and he runs after it, like a game/mealtime combo. He can keep running after them for a long time - it's a rare occasion that he gets tired enough to stop! Or conversely he will just stop soon into the game like he is bored. How do I manage to keep him interested?

@NBrazil: I do this all the time when I manage to get him to this point, but after he gets his energy back he's still up for playtime. I never see him at his "done" stage! I think the kitten is the only solution I can really manage here.

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@molldee: I do have Da Bird, the only thing is that it's hard for me to get him really active and running around. After a while he tends to sit still and try to pounce on it - if he doesn't get it, he walks away and tries again. Not much activity there. I get a few jumps out of him here and there (especially with catnip) but he doesn't move heavily. The other thing I try with him is I throw his kibble (from his portion) and he runs after it, like a game/mealtime combo. He can keep running after them for a long time - it's a rare occasion that he gets tired enough to stop! Or conversely he will just stop soon into the game like he is bored. How do I manage to keep him interested?

@NBrazil: I do this all the time when I manage to get him to this point, but after he gets his energy back he's still up for playtime. I never see him at his "done" stage! I think the kitten is the only solution I can really manage here.
You had me laughing because Artemis also never got to a "done" stage when he was a kitten. He would start panting when I simply brought the toy out BEFORE playing! (Yes, I had him checked out, including an EKG! He checked out fine - just highly excitable.) I tried the play - eat - sleep thing, but eating just made him want to play more.

Thankfully both he and his "sister" (at a bit more than a year each) have finally settled down. They both still want to/like playing - but he is now becoming a first rate sleeper! She sleeps a lot too, but will vocally tell me when she wants to play. Medically things have only improved slightly for me, so I do not regularly play with them... but something new, when I do, they've learned to share/take turns! Not always, but now she isn't always hogging the toy!

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it is the time of year when my thoughts turn to...wind chimes...wind chimes with stained glass and mirrors that reflect dashing lights onto the floors and walls that only need a breeze or a push as you walk by to lead all self-respecting hunters and huntresses into a frenzy of crazed shadow and light chasing...fun fun FUN

ps...beware if kitty doesn't know what a wall is...took the above cat MANY years to understand the concept of shadows...but she finally could put the word and concept together being exceptional and all

Last edited: