How To Remove Tear Stains

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I picked my baby kitten up, he had a lot of discharges because of traveling long distance. I took him to the vet, and the vet said it was normal. It did go back to normal after several days he arrived home, but there was still blackish spots extending from his eyes(picture below). I have no idea whether that are tear stains or just the color of his fur since I have tried very hard to wipe it off with hot water and failed.

If it is tear stains, what should I do? I have tried natural eye wipes, it did not work either.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it's natural but I'm not completely positive, although with all you've done I'm guessing natural.

You do not want to use hot water (warm is safest), and do not rub too hard because you can hurt your cat, both the skin and the underlying sinus area.

Be cautious, very gentle and very careful.

Extreme Persian Eye Maintaince

Last edited:

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s a cutie :loveeyes::loveeyes:. He looks natural to me. Usually tear stains go down further and have a red hue to them.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has such a sweet baby face! I think the small tear stains there are normal. Lily's are even longer. Since Mingo is black, I can't tell about his.