How to remove old pee smell?

malt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of the cats peed on a pile of clothes in my bedroom. Before anyone gets on me about taking them to the vet and checking for UTIs etc, I know why it happened. My flatmate's boyfriend moved in and brought his cat with him (without telling me or the other flatmate
) and they just let it loose in the house without doing any introductory stuff between the cats. So one of the resident cats peed outside of the litterbox because she was upset. It was probably my Mama cat, she revenge-pees when she's angry. The 'why' of the inappropriate peeing isn't the problem. 

The problem is, because of my chronic health problems slowly crushing me under the burden of my own existence, I didn't realise the clothing had been peed on until a week after the fact. So it had a lot of time to just really soak in there. Also, one of the befouled items was my favourite white jacket, so that has stained some. I need any and all tips on how to remove cat pee stains and smells from clothing after it's had pee on it for so long. Thanks for your time. 

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would agree with soaking. Try Borax. Put the clothes in the washer with the proper amount of detergent and the recommended addition of Boxax. Let the water fill cycle run until filled and agitation started, then turn off the machine and let it sit overnight. restart in the AM and see where you are.

As for the white jacket, if it can be machine washed, Apply spray Shout, let it sit overnight and then machine wash with 2 oz. of Clorox added to the cycle as bleach.