How To Punish A "mean"cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, we have a new cat and our roommate's cat has been treating it so horrible while we try introducing them and acclimating the new cat.

We need to find a way to actually punish this cat and let him know what he is doing is very bad but we don't know how. Ideas?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Never punish a cat, it will only make things worse. they are not dogs.

It sounds like the two cats has not been introduced properly and the resident cat is protecting his territory. He needs to learn that the new cat isn't a threat.

Check out this article on how to introduce them safely- it's a great guide to help the two cats get along:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

it will take time.. it won't happen over night. Have patience, and again, never punish a cat for being a cat

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The phrase "punish a cat" isn't going to be too popular, I'm afraid. :headshake:

You need to keep the cats in separate rooms until they get used to the other's presence.

From the cat's perspective, "punishment" just makes you an untrustworthy and scary human. They only act on instinct. What you want as much as possible is a calm, relaxing environment for everyone.

sparrowhawk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can't punish a cat because it doesn't have the social motivation of a dog or person. They don't get the why. Case in point. One time when sleeping in my parent's basement, my alarm went off and I woke up to seeing my cat trying to climb up inside the dropdown ceiling. In my grogginess and panic, I yelled. For weeks the cat would hide under the bed when my alarm went off, because the idea that I was yelling because of his behavior never entered his mind - he just thought that was a weird tic I have or something when the alarm went off.

Can you stop a cat's behavior through negative reinforcement? Technically, yes, but not normally a good idea. Since they don't really equate the "punishment" with their behavior, they instead associate it with you or the surroundings, more than actually stopping the behavior, what you normally end up doing is just causing them to go hide until they think the danger has passed. They'll never get the idea that the environment and people/animals - all the variables they associate with the punishment - aren't the problem, so they just hide until the environment they believe is safe again. The idea that all those things could be there and they would be perfectly safe if they just didn't engage in the unwanted behavior doesn't occur for most cats.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The cats are not at fault here. You are rushing the introductions and causing both cats to be stressed out and unhappy. Punishing a cat, either by yelling or hitting, will just make the situation much worse. All you will do is add more stress to an already stressful situation.

Please keep the cats separate and go through the introductions at the cat's pace, not your pace.

This article has some good tips on how to do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your insight but we are going to have to end up moving away from our roommates to acclimate our new cat.

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cats are not at fault here. You are rushing the introductions and causing both cats to be stressed out and unhappy. Punishing a cat, either by yelling or hitting, will just make the situation much worse. All you will do is add more stress to an already stressful situation.

Please keep the cats separate and go through the introductions at the cat's pace, not your pace.

This article has some good tips on how to do that.

We did not rush, took it slowly for about four months and have lost patience, will be moving.

trizzo0309

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never punish a cat, it will only make things worse. they are not dogs.

It sounds like the two cats has not been introduced properly and the resident cat is protecting his territory. He needs to learn that the new cat isn't a threat.

Check out this article on how to introduce them safely- it's a great guide to help the two cats get along:

it will take time.. it won't happen over night. Have patience, and again, never punish a cat for being a cat
Thank you for your reply. We took it slow for a long time and are now going to move out.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are the cats spayed/neutered?

Can you describe your introduction process?

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Firstly, you're looking at this wrong. What the cat is doing isn't "very bad", it's instinct. S/he feels threatened and scared. You've brought a strange animal into their territory.

Have you tried rewarding good behaviour instead of punishing bad behaviour? Was there food involved during the introduction process? There should always be food involved. Cats associate food with good things. Kitty behaves appropriately = treat. Kitty uses proper scratch post = treat. Etc. The cats shouldn't see each other face to face until they can both calmly eat their meals on either side of a closed door.

Also, there are some who will never be friends. All you can expect is for them to at least tolerate each other's presence. Ignoring each other means they're comfortable.

alicia8195

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 cats. When we adopted our 4th we found it very helpful to put the new cat in a room by itself with the door shut. We provided it with its own food, water and liter box in the room. We would take turns introducing our other cats one at a time but would keep a close eye on them to make sure there was no violent fighting. I think it took about two weeks.
Hope this helps good luck!

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you punish a dog it will lick your hand. if you punish a cat more than likely it will move away. I cringe when I hear about punishing an animal and I am certain you did not mean it in a bad way.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You honestly do not need to move away from your current living situation. Most cats will at least tolerate another cat in their environment. In fact alot of the time the toleration is the best case scenario for cats who are not littermates. There are several introduction threads on the site, they are there to help with introductions between cats. You haven't really said how long you have been trying to introduce the cats and which methods you have used during these times. It can take literally a few hours or several months. If what you are doing is not working right now, go back to step 1 seperation and try another tact.

Cats are not "mean" they don't discriminate, they don't "hate" they are animals, their instinct and experience tells them where to go and what to do. Putting your own emotional feelings into a situation where you are introducing cats will make the situation more difficult because the cats can sense tension. You need to keep the words like mean and the feelings that go along with it to a forum or discussion and make sure you enter into any introduction positive and relaxed. (we are /will make progress.)

No one is here to criticise you, we all have experience we use to help people with their cat problems, worries, concerns, grief etc.

Please give us more detail of what you have been doing and we will be able to offer more specific advice.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't even necessarily punish a dog .... I've watched to many Dog whispers shows :) .... On that note maybe catch up on the series My Cat From Hell? I have seen Jackson Galaxy work miracles on so many cats. Even feral cats which I would not willingly adopt. After you watch a few episodes you will think your cat is an angel

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made the connection that you are the same member whose new cat has hidden himself under your bed for an entire 4 months. In this case, moving probably is a good idea. Your cat may be much more comfortable and confident being an only cat in the household.

katma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope your cat will have a purr-ivate retreat in his/her new home, and will feel relaxed as the only cat. I'm going through some issues with a new adoptee myself.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
T trizzo0309 is making a move that will settle this problem.
We'll wish her and her pussycat all the best in her new place and lock this thread. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.