How to proceed... (IBD, Prednisolone)

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on prednisolone since early September, due to constant vomiting. I was supposed to start giving him a pill on every second day on week 3 of pred, but his vomiting issues almost immediately resumed when I did, so i consulted my vet through the phone and he recommended to continue the use of 1 pill a day for 30 more days. We're on day 27 of that new period.
My cat has looser stools due to pred (he didn't have diarrhea at all previously). But occasionally his diarrhea becomes really bad, like right now. He even vomited today for the first time in those 27 days, though his vomit looked more normal this time, compared to his frequent vomiting before - this time it was a foamy yellow with bits of grass and some hair, not undigested food like before. His diarrhea is kinda liquid, small drops right now. No appetite loss, he acts normal, except that he goes to the box more frequently, or asks to go outside (he doesn't like using his box). Still wants to eat a lot. I don't understand why suddenly his diarrhea is worse again. In three days I'm supposed to go down to 1 pill every second day and I'm not sure what to do. Feels like it's either vomiting or diarrhea, if one is helped, then the other comes back.

I give him Royal Canine digestive sensitive wet food, but have to admit that he got some super market wet food some days ago, due to me being low on cash. Could it be that the super market food messed him up? He also gets dry food with chicken, its supposed to be monoprotein food that helps with digestion (Cheshir is the brand or smth like that), but maybe chicken isn't good either?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had an IBD cat who issues was also the constant vomiting. He was on the Pred for 8 years. Some cats are unable to come off the Pred completely though it is a good idea to get the dose as low as possible. Many cats tolerate the Pred very well. The main issue that cats can develop with a steroid is diabetes so their blood sugar needs to be checked regularly. There was an issue with a shortage of Prednisolone a number of years ago and out of necessity he was on a different steroid. His blood sugar did come up but after he was able to go back on the Prednisolone his blood sugar came back down.

Diarrhea may be part of the IBD rather then being caused by the Pred. When he was vomiting constantly it may have been a matter of not enough food going through his system for the diarrhea to show up. I would also try a different food, slowly. Chicken is a common issue for cats. Patches developed a sensitivity to it. His sensitivity didn't show up as digestive issues but with a chronic yeast infection in his ears.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It definitely could be the change in diet that did it. Until you know what is causing the upset, chicken, fish, corn, etc. it is imperative to stay with one kind of food/protein. It may be that the chicken in the dry is upsetting him if that is fairly new. If that is not working, slowly introduce him to some kind of sensitive dry with something other than chicken. Slowly switch to another kind and then evaluate. Encourage lots of fresh water so he doen't get dehydrated. The Pred is helping but what is upsetting his digestive system has not been found, and when you cut back it is allowed to upset him again. When you do have some money try to buy a few more cans of his sensitive food to tide you over, giving food taht he is not used to would definitely not be a good idea....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are two web sites with good info:

The prescription food isn't necessary, IMO. A novel protein limited ingredient diet works best for many IBD cats. There are commercial brands available such as these in the US:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
Limited Ingredients | Natural Balance Pet Foods

If you're in Europe, look on ZooPlus for similar limited ingredient foods.

Many IBD cats are sensitive to chicken so avoid feeding that, including treats. Hydrolyzed chicken, what's in prescription food, is supposed to not trigger a reaction but who knows?

Dry food seems to bother an IBD cat's tummy. Can you feed only canned food?

Many IBD cats need a combination of medicines to start with. My IBD cat was on anti-nausea, pred, antibiotiocs, and a few other things. Gradually he only needed pred until he was able to stop that. I didn't change his diet at all. He continued to eat the same commercial raw diet but only in rabbit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your answers m, everyone!
I tried feeding him only wet food for a week and damn it gets expensive fast, cause he has hell of an appetite...
I tried also with a monoprotein food that isn't Royal canine, but today he has vomited, even though we avoided chicken, however there was some tuna and he seems to not tolerate tuna so well. Could also depend on going over to one pill every other day - he starts vomiting immediately after we go over to that. Will call the vet to ask if we should continue with with daily dose for a bit longer.... it's ok for a cat to be on it for longer?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My IBD kitty was on a 5 mg pill daily for eight years. He tolerated it very well. Of course the same isn't true for every cat but that was my experience.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will call the vet to ask if we should continue with with daily dose for a bit longer.... it's ok for a cat to be on it for longer?
Leroy as on pred for nearly a year before he was able to stop. Every cat is different.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We're doing better with pred. Down to 2,5 mg every other day right now and gonna try to step down to 1,25mg every other day. Hopefully it will continue working. There has been no vomiting. Musiaka isn't getting any dry food anymore which seems to have helped. He doesn't drink any water anymore however, which he used to do while getting dry food. Maybe his water need is decreased with only wet food.

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're doing better with pred. Down to 2,5 mg every other day right now and gonna try to step down to 1,25mg every other day. Hopefully it will continue working. There has been no vomiting. Musiaka isn't getting any dry food anymore which seems to have helped. He doesn't drink any water anymore however, which he used to do while getting dry food. Maybe his water need is decreased with only wet food.
Water intake definitely decreases with wet food. Happy to hear things are getting better! We are also on this journey.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
D drelocks yes I guess there's enough moisture in wet food? How much of pred is your cat taking? Hope it's going well for you too! :)

drelocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
D drelocks yes I guess there's enough moisture in wet food? How much of pred is your cat taking? Hope it's going well for you too! :)
Our past cat took pred, I think 1mg twice a day? I can't remember. Walnut is our current cat with IBD, he's just on a diet change and flagyl for now, his case is much more mild.

But they were both on wet food for most their lives. Hardly ever saw them drink water but at every vet visit they would tell us how well hydrated they were!