How to prevent the cat from getting out?

cleo123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so a few weeks ago I made a thread in the S.O.S. forum about one of my cats running away. For the second time.

This cannot happen again.

First off, both times he was gone, he was gone for about 3 weeks to a month. Not "gone" so much as hanging around the house/woods and refusing to come back in. When he has returned, he'd be all snuggly and cuddling up to us and apologizing for leaving. However, this time, when we go near the door, so does he.

I cannot have him escape again. I can't cope with it. It's too much for me. He is NOT going to become an indoor-outdoor cat.

I don't think it has to do with him being unhappy. We have toys. He has playmates. We give him snuggles whenever he demands them and sometimes when he doesn't. I don't know what his thought process is.

I am looking for ways to Nicky-proof the door so he doesn't get out again as we're going through the door. The door, which opens inward (into the house) is connected to the garage. For various reasons, we cannot keep the garage door closed.

I was at first thinking of an electric collar, if they make those for cats. If he got too close to the door, it would send out a signal. However, I question the humanity of these. But beyond that, I don't think it's possible to train him to be afraid of the door because the door is too close to the stairs (less than three feet away). If we were try to condition him to be afraid of the door, that would cut off his access to the stairs and essentially half the house. And we have a small house.

What other ideas are there?

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen people add a shelf above and slightly to the side of the door frame so that kitty can go 'up' and see the comings and goings but not be able to jump out. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
No shock collars! Its cruel, IMO.

Try Scccat (however its spelled). It's canned air. If the cat gets too close to it, it'd give off a burst of air and should deter him away from the door.

or distract the cat with his favorite toy or treat? toss it away from the door as you exit, maybe he'll be more interested in the toy to realize you went out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleo123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen people add a shelf above and slightly to the side of the door frame so that kitty can go 'up' and see the comings and goings but not be able to jump out. 
Thanks for your reply, but I'm still a bit confused. I don't see how that prevents him from getting out, as he might not always go on the shelf.

Draco: As I mentioned in my first post, I can't use deterrents like sprays of air/water. Very close to the door (within 3-4 feet) is the couch and the stairwell. If he became uncomfortable near the door, he wouldn't be comfortable going back and forth between the stairwell as they're so close together.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Cleo123! Welcome to TCS!

Clicker training your cat might seem like a complicated way of dealing with door darting, but clicker training is really just a way that allows you and your cat to communicate. I would recommend Naughty No More! by Marilyn Krieger, a well-known cat behavorist.

The only other suggestions I can make is persistently discouraging the behavior with a firm "No." and removing him to another room each time he runs for the door, and being really paranoid about where he is whenever the door is open.

Good luck! I am familiar with the awful heart-in-throat, can't-barely-breathe anxiety that accompanies a cat's escape.

AC