How to prevent Lillie toxicity

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
I would be happy to never see another cat die from lillies. It’s a horrible death and the plants are so toxic.
I think all lillies sold need to have warning labels on them. Signs should be posted anywhere they are sold. I don’t know how to go about getting something like this started. Any ideas? I’m in the USA. I know in the UK
I cat.org has a campaign going but so far not much luck.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I understand your concern and agree with you. That is why TCS has a specific Article regarding this subject:
Cats & Lilies: Avoid The Danger Lurking In Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

Our vet sends a special newsletter during Easter and Spring to all their clients and the ASPCA does a good job of this also. I think you have the best intentions and hope others will respond with their thoughts and ideas. :thumbsup:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, I have an idea, and it might work. There are any number of really good petition sites out there. You would need to write up a petition, outlining very clearly the dangers that lilies present to cats, and requesting that they be labeled with warning labels. The hard part is getting the petitions to the right places...I do not know if the lilies are labeled by the growers or at the sales point. You would need to look into that, and to get either a list of major growers or major sellers to send your petition to once you had your target number of signatures. This is the site that I am most familiar with: Animal Petitions - Humans Defending Animals From Other Humans I hear change.org is good, but charges quite a bit. There are others out there. A google search of "best petition sites" will bring up any number to explore.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it could be required for the sellers to link aspca in the USA with ALL plants, and specifically warn about lethal plants like lillies extra with labels and verbally.

I would go extra for all the countries in which cats go outside and/or there is a street cat population to ban growing such lethal flowers other than specifically allowed gardens.