how to potty train my cat

bsurb10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have a 3 month old cat who is harder than hell to potty train.... i love him to death.. i rescued him off a busy highway in town and now my dad is getting kind of ticked off because he keeps using the bathroom behind the laundry machines and it starts stinking...

i tried placing the liter box in the kitchen and he used it a lot.... but he would always go in the living room in a corner or behind the washer. he doesnt cry or show any signs of needing to use the bathroom, thats why i dont want to place the liter box out on the back porch when the doors are closed. my other cat doesnt have this problem. he cries and comes to someone letting us know he needs to go out.

PLEASE.... what can i do to solve this issue??? i dont want my dad getting rid of him.....

iv tried googling and trying to find answers..

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a baby. You can't keep the litterbox somewhere hard to find because he can't control himself long enough to get there. Try to keep him in a small area with his litterbox so he gets the idea. And bring him to the box after meals, after he wakes up from a long nap, after playing a lot, etc. And if he uses the box, tell him how great and smart he is, maybe give him a treat if there's anything he really likes. If you can, buy some Kitten Attract litter or Cat Attract litter additive (found at Petsmart).

But it can take a while for some kittens to get the idea. If your dad can't be patient, it might be best to find him a home with people who have a better idea of a kitten's needs :(.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bsurb10

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my other cat is about a year old... it worked with him perfect.. i was giving him treats after and everything. so is it bad to keep it outside on the back porch? because even at night, everyone can be sleeping and who knows if he has to go... i pick him up and place him in the liter box he starts to cry then he jumps out.

what do you do with the liter attract stuff?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cat/Kitten Attract products have something in them that make cats want to use the litterbox. One product is an actual kitty litter, the other product is a powder that you put in their regular litter.

Keeping the box on the porch isn't necessarily bad for an adult cat who is able to hold it and wait until someone lets him out. But for a baby kitten who can't hold it or wait, the litterbox needs to be closer.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a rescue he wouldn't have been litter trained like a house raised kitten, keep him in a smallish room with 2 litter trays and all his other belongings so he can learn how to use a tray. 

Also make sure you're properly cleaning up the places he soils in with an enzyme cleaner or he'll continue to smell it and keep marking there. 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... enzyme cleaner ...
Biological (enzyme) laundry powder or liquid is great.  Get an unscented one, some of the cheap ones in the UK smell horrible.  If the surface will bear it, wiping down afterwards with surgical spirit on cotton wool helps as well.