How To Medicate A Small Lion?

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's 100% done with the cat burrito. I live by myself, disabled, have to medicate 2x a day and I have been since 11/14, went to a different vet they actually gave me anti biotics this time. After several days of this, he's gotten significantly stronger to defeat the towel.

I'm out of breath, guys. He scratched me, but I'm not fazed. I need like a triple burrito tactic here. I wish I can have a second person to help me out but that's not realistic. And I have to do this for like 8 more days.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You didn’t say specifically, but I’m guessing that his antibiotics are in pill form? Will he eat it in a pill pocket? You could also try crushing the pill and mixing it with wet food or coating it with a little bit of butter.

This article has more suggestions: How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it's liquid. As much as I want to put it in his food, I also don't want him to stop eating. And the other is a capsule I take apart, spill half and mix it in water.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
He might take it mixed with something creamy, like ricotta, cottage, or cream cheese, yogurt, baby food (without onions), watered down liverwurst, or the like. You'll have to experiment a bit to see what he likes before actually mixing in the medicine. Our weirdo will eat anything mixed with blueberry yogurt.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He might take it mixed with something creamy, like ricotta, cottage, or cream cheese, yogurt, baby food (without onions), watered down liverwurst, or the like. You'll have to experiment a bit to see what he likes before actually mixing in the medicine. Our weirdo will eat anything mixed with blueberry yogurt.
he loves mayo. i didnt know most(?) cats liked mayo either. i just dropped some on my foot one day and he was licking my foot. what kind of baby food would be safe? i could try cheese though.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The capsule can be mixed into a little canned food or something like canned tuna. Baby food is fine but only meat only baby foods. Here are suitable ones:

Anyone else have an Only-Gravy-Licker?

Click on the image to expand it.

Mayo is ok as long as it does not contain garlic or onion.

Can you ask the vet if one of the vet techs can come by your house daily to help you medicate the cat? Many are willing to help out clients.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
didnt eat all his food at once but im hoping he ate and not just the gravy

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he only ate a little bit. this is just a 3oz can. hmph , i may have to resort just using more towels.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the 2 day delivery you could get a cat bag from Amazon. If not put it in the search, see what it looks like and check your local pet stores.

If you don't have a local pet store, buy a heavy towel or a camping blanket, cut a hole in the middle for kit's head and poncho him, then wrap. It might work. Disclosure: I had one I had to take to the vet every time he needed any pills - antibiotics, worm pills, whatever, because it was just me and the cats.

It's amazing how friends disappear when you ask if they want to help you pill the tiger.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: my mom helped me last night and today. I just have crappy wrapping skills. His feet always escape first. I will practice with her here so I can do this by myself for the next 7 days.

Wants to kill me / Resting B**** Face

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's worse when a second person isn't here. But if I can't put "can feed meds to aggressive cat" on my resume under special skills, I failed as a cat mom.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, no, no you didn't 'cause if you did, I did I failed as a cat mom. Nope, not having that attitude. You got cats, you gotta have catitude yourself. Some cats require several arms to subdue.

Mostly we hope he won't be sick often enough for you to acquire that skill.

badw0lf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, no, no you didn't 'cause if you did, I did I failed as a cat mom. Nope, not having that attitude. You got cats, you gotta have catitude yourself. Some cats require several arms to subdue.

Mostly we hope he won't be sick often enough for you to acquire that skill.
it's just so hard darn it. I'm bruised on my knees for doing this so much.

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you able to put him on a table in front of you? Pet him to make him comfortable, have him face away from you with his bum close to your body. Then wrap a towel or blanket around him like a giant bib. Then hold him either by the scruff or his face with one hand and the other comes up against his body and you can syringe the liquid in to the side of his mouth, a little at a time. When he starts tl growl, stop, pet him and then try again after a rest. Thats how i administer meds to my tiny tiger! Good luck.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, let's think, this is going well, really it is. You're getting the hang of it. Now, there will other times in the future that you'll need to lower to the ground - knees on the floor - cause cats are short.

Go to a garden store, or Home Depot or the like. They sell sturdy knee pads for gardening. They are too stiff for cycling, skate boarding and the like, but they are excellent for kneeling. Take your time, look around, read the reviews. Remember, you can always make a little padding from a washrag to put in them, or fold up some of those shoe-liners (Dr. Scholl's?)

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: my mom helped me last night and today. I just have crappy wrapping skills. His feet always escape first. I will practice with her here so I can do this by myself for the next 7 days.

Wants to kill me / Resting B**** Face
A good stink eye!!!
There is a thread for stink eye pictures you might enjoy and you can post this there.
Show me your "stink eyed" cat pictures!!