How to make Terra the Cat a more eager drinker?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm. Maybe we don't have as much because we brush their teeth daily?

Their water cups can sit 3 days and we don't get slimy. I really only wash it with the boiled water and use a paper towel to dry.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You won't see biofilm unless it is allowed to accumulate such as in a pipe just rinsing won't remove it. I think that's why the pipes in the fountains get slimy. I had the drinkwell platinum. The collum in the center got slimy often. Indy splashing in the bowl portion didn't help.

With the adition of whatever was on her paws it probably just got gross in there. She also would knock the resivoir off the back.

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wash my cat's water bowl and my own water cup every day. I use mild dish soap on the ceramic dish and the hottest water I can stand. I dry it out with a paper towel as a final rub-over before rinsing off any paper bits.

I used to add water to my cat's food, but I realized she was peeing a lot and stopped drinking on her own anymore. Now, she drinks when she wants and she pees 3 or more times a day. Seems decent.

Like other people have said, the initial layer of ick you get is biofilm. Your teeth get it. Pools get it. Stuff likes to use it like a shield. "Pink slime" is a bacteria that likes water dishes, so you might see that. (May not look pink until you wipe it up with something white or light-colored.)

Factors like temperature, exposure to debris, etc., can impact how quickly something grows in your water. But remember, water makes for life in general.

I'd like to get a fountain, but hand washing that regularly seems like a bit too much. I get too dry of hands often.

JohnYYZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For my two cats, they absolutely drink more from a fountain than a sitting dish (or whatever type of material). Probably from cat instincts that moving water is more safe for them to drink. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, so many responses! I’ll need time to read them all.

Since someone asked, I feed Terra the Cat Smalls ground and smooth bird, and she LOOOOOOOVES it. I also give her crunchy treats because she loves crunchy food and her vet likes them because they keep her teeth clean.

I DON’T have a fountain yet, but someone mentioned something about biofilm. Nothing like that in her water dish that I can see, but her saliva does accumulate on the bottom. Her water dish is plastic. Is there any reason I shouldn’t run it through the dishwasher from time to time to keep it clean?

CyberTiger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plastic is a pretty friendly surface for biofilm and things, so you definitely got to stay on top of cleaning if you do use it. The other options would be easier. (I still try to wash ceramic and stainless steel every day though.)

As for plastic toxins and putting it in the dishwasher, I guess it depends on your stance with plastic?

I personally try to avoid plastic for food and liquids for my own self and extend that to my cat (which is a lot easier for me to do for her, given how much human foodstuffs is with plastic these days--including tupperware). I'm concerned about the effects of ingesting plastic with such things.

I think, more or less, people should try to hit what they deem ideal for their cat if possible. So if you don't have concerns about plastic (heated or otherwise), then that's pretty much your answer.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the type of plastic. Stuff like Nalgene and Viton are virtually inert where others are not.

It also depends on the company that made the plastic and where they source their raw materials from.

Cheaper grades are less desirable from a food safety perspective while the better grades are more expensive. Products made from Viton are often used in hospitals and can be very expensive but, when it comes to medical safety, cost is usually less of a concern.

In the home, you have to think of the trade-offs.

It’s usually easier to just use metal, glass or ceramic.

Probably the best thing you can get at home is something known as Pyroceram. That’s what those white Corningware dishes are made from, especially the older ones.

White Corningware used to be virtually indestructible but they make it cheaper, nowadays.

Last edited: